Facing possible surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facing possible surgery

My almost 18 year old daughter is facing the possibility of surgery this summer.
    She has been seeing Dr. Louis Keppler in Cleveland, Ohio area since she was 14 - 15 years old. Her curve in the last two years has gone from high 20's (28-30) to hight 30's (38 - 40). He said he would consider surgery since it has progressed this much. I am very confused and scared, especially after reading about complications from or lengthy recovery periods. She is an active teenager, leaving for college in the fall. Any other patients of Dr. Keppler's? Any one she could talk to regarding this surgery? :confused

i have almost stopped growing, and with a curve of 40 degrees, and im getting surgery this summer. im guessing ur daughter is almost done or is practically done growing so i dont think having surgery and ruining her first year of college is worth it for a 38-40 degree curve, unless she has a lot of pain...i have tons of pain...
    ~Wanda~
    40TL curve pre op
    Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
    San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
    June 7, 2006
    post op curve: 16

Comment

Someone to talk to

We have a second opinion scheduled for the week before my daughters
      regular doctor appointment in May. Is there anyone in the Cleveland, Ohio
      area that has had scoliosis surgery by Dr. Loius Keppler that would be willing
      to talk to my daughter? I have read a lot of information on this website and the Medtronics website and the different types of surgery - entering through the back or entering on the side and going through the ribs. What type of instrumention would be used. It would be helpful for her to talk or e-mail someone that has been through this with the same doctor. Thanks for the response to earlier post from Wanda - it helps to talk to people who are going through the same thing.

Last edited by kshy; 04-11-2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

We aren't in the Ohio area, but I'm sure my 14 y.o. daughter would be more than happy to e-mail with your daughter. Jamie had surgery 16 months ago. Feel free to contact Jamie at Spinesupport05@aol.com.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
        X