Pre-Donating Blood Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Donating Blood Concerns

How do you get through pre donating 3 units of blood???? It's just such a hard thing to do, even the thought is frightening.
    We're wondering if family members blood is just as useful? We are getting the sense from the hospital that they want the patients blood. (if possible) Any suggestions????
    Thank You
    *BILLIE JOE*

Shelby's doctor said she didn't need to donate any blood that he would use the machine to recycle the blood she loses. Shelby's dad is the same blood type so he said that my husband could donate a few pints and he would only use those after surgery if she needed a "boost".

Kathy

Comment

My son was supposed to donate 2 units of blood, only ended up donating 1 unit and his father and I each donated a unit also as we all share the same blood type. He actually didn't need anything during the surgery but they did transfuse the blood he donated after surgery was over to give him a "boost".

My son got through the donation ok, it really wasn't that bad. If your daughter needs to donate 3 units, I'm sure they will be spaced far enough apart. Taking vitamins daily and the iron supplement and eating a healthy diet is the best thing to do. Good luck to you, let us know how things go-

Renee

Comment

Hi! My daughter donated two units, only ended up needing one. Has your doctor talked at all about using Procrit, it's used primarily for chemo patients, to help restore red blood cells. It helped my daughter. Sounds like some docs use it, some don't, and it might be an insurance issue? Pat

Comment

HI Billie Joe,
          My 15 yr old daughter just made her 4th and final donation Friday. Her Dr. asked for four units. We are the same blood type but he said her own blood was best. You can't have a reaction to your own blood. It was tough but she was diligent about taking her iron( SloFe) and Vitamin C 3 times each day. I also gave her a multivitamin and a few servings of red meat each week. She did get faint at the blood donation center after two of her donations but never actually fainted. I scheduled her donations late in the afternoon so she could just go home, eat a good meal and take it easy.

Hope all goes well!
          Kate

Comment

Billie Joe,

I didn't donate any for my surgery. My daughter and my son both donated for me. I ended up needing 7 units so they had to go to the blood bank anyway for 5 of the units. They also used the machine where the blood is recycled. You just never know. But, it is fine for immediate family members to donate for you.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

I donated blood for both of my major scoli surgeries. I needed all 3 units the first time, and I needed 2 the second time. It's really not too bad, just make sure you stay well hydrated! On top of that, it made me a lifelong blood donor (well, once I turned 18). Since I already knew how it felt to donate, I now donate for others and it's an easy way to know that you may be saving someone's life with it. I would try to get her blood or family members so you know for sure where the blood is coming from, should she need it. Like the other s said, with your own blood, you're not likely to get an adverse reaction. Good luck with everything!
              ScoliMed is Katie
              22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
              Posterior fusion 1999
              Failed, lumbar curve to 70
              Posterior removal 2000
              Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
              Still in pain, tried almost everything!
              Currently in medical school

Comment

Hi!

I had scoliosis surgery on June 2005. I remember also donating 3 units of blood about a month before my surgery date. They were scheduled a week apart for each. I believe that relatives can also donate blood, as long as it is the same blood type. However, i believe that the patient's own blood is always better, as the body is already familiar with it. (I'm not too sure if this is accurate).

And don't worry to much about it. Just make sure that you aren't dizzy after donating blood because some people become dizzy after donating blood that they aren't able to stand up immediately.

It might be a good idea to take iron supplements, as i recall having to have my hemoglobin level checked each time prior to donating blood. When you donate blood, you lose iron, and they want to make sure you have enough.

Remember, you can do it! and if your friends ever consider donating blood in the future, you'll be able to say, "Hey! i've donated blood before!"

Good luck!

Comment

Carly donated 2 units of blood. The first unit was 2 weeks before surgery and then another 1 week before. It really didnt bother her, donating. Luckily, she did not need any blood during surgery. What was surprising though, was that they put the blood back into her after the surgery!! We thought they would just throw it out!!
                  The nurses told us this was her body wouln't have to regenerate the blood she donated. Weird, huh?

Comment

Working...
                  X