Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tanning

Hey everyone!

I will be going on a trip to Hawaii in May and will be 5 months post op at that time. My doctor has said I'll be ok to go on the trip and can swim, snorkel and do mild activities.

He mentioned I'd need to wear sun block on my scar or try to cover it up with a shirt, etc. I plan on doing this as the Hawaii sun is very strong.

But I'd like to get tan before the trip so I don't burn, but also look good in my bathing suit. So I'm trying to see if it's ok to tan in a tanning after you've had spinal fusion surgery?

I was mainly concerned about having a metal rod in me and then going in the tanning bed? Could this cause any problems? I know about all the normal risks of long term tanning and, I don't do that, I just want to be a little tan for my trip.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Shelly
    Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

I went tanning before my trip to Hawaii. There are no problems with the rods. I was much later post-op, but rod-wise, it should be the same. I would still put a thin strip of sunscreen on the scar even for the tanning bed, though. Have a great trip!
    ScoliMed is Katie
    22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
    Posterior fusion 1999
    Failed, lumbar curve to 70
    Posterior removal 2000
    Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
    Still in pain, tried almost everything!
    Currently in medical school

Comment

Hi Shelly...

You might want to talk to a dermatologist. I think the warnings about not protecting your scar from the sun, include tanning beds. I'm not sure what the deal is, but I believe scars are far more photosensitive.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Shelly,

I also tanned after my surgeries. Nothing happened to my scar. It did not change in color.
        What I could suggest is to spray tan. Do you have this where you live? It is called mystic tan and costs about 30 dollars a session and you get an instant tan and does not affect your scar in any way. It gives a beautiful color, not orange!! This is what I do instead of tanning because I do sometimes burn.
        I went to hawaii in feb of last year and I must say the sun is very strong! You defintly would want to put some sort of sun block or sun screen on. If you still want to tan somewhat I would put sunscreen instead of sunblock. Sunblock you will not get any color what so ever..
        I think you will do just fine. Also if you do go tanning in the beds before, try to use the high pressure beds that dont burn you. That will help you all around. The last thing you want is to get burned from the tanning bed before you go on your trip..

Have a great time...

Sarah
        Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
        2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
        March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
        August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
        August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Hi Shelly,

Isn't it just the greatest thing to worry about tanning instead of what you look like in a bathing suit. I always wore a shirt in public, I looked good from the front but didn't want anyone to see me from behind. You have a wonderful time.

Shari

Comment

Hi shelly,
            have a great time! I bet you don't have anything to worry about with the tanning. I also always wear a big shirt over my bathing suit because of my ugly back. It would be great to just wear a suit , scar & all! Good luck, enjoy--Lynne http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and comments.

Yes it is nice to just worry about my tan now and now how crooked I am.
              The scar really doesn't even bother me if people see it. It's almost like I am proud of it in a way to show I've been through some hard times but I am making it to a normal life now.

Maybe I'll share some pictures when I get back from my trip.
              Shelly
              Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

Working...
              X