No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a good surgeon at UCLA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of a good surgeon at UCLA?

Has anyone heard of Dr. Nick Shamie at UCLA spine center? I will be going to him in May for a second opinion. How about a great surgeon anywhere in the states. Dr. Shelokov is from what I hear and read the leading doctor for scoliosis surgery but he does not except my insurance. I need a good doctor that will take my insurance.

Please Help....Thanks
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Debbie...

There are many good doctors in california. Dr. Wong is a leading spine surgeon at UCLA. I have been to him for a second opinion. I go to a dr named DR. Robert Pashman at Cedars Sinai hospital in Beverly Hills. He takes very few insurances, mine was not one of them,however he will make adjustments and consider your insurance in-network. He is a very good dr and is very well known. If you get a chance all the dr's at his spine center are excellent. If you need any help please let me know.

Sarah
    Sarah 25 yrs old- Married with three english bulldogs

1995-Surgery for scoliosis fused T3-L3.
    2000-Surgery for Rod breaking, relaced rod and took out upper rods.
    March 2005-Surgery for removal of all rods.
    August 2005-Fusion of T10-T11 due to crack in fusion, Rods put back in.
    August 2006- Surgery for fusion from L4 to sacrum.

Comment

Sarah

Thanks Sarah for your reply. Have you had the surgery? It's good to know about the good drs. at UCLA. It seems to be a pretty reputable center in L.A.

Thanks again
      T2 to Sacrum
      Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
      Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
      Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Debbie,

Yes, I have had 4 surgeries for scoliosis. I am facing my 5th in July of this year. My surgeon is Dr. Pashman at Cedar Sinai. I do really like him. He would be defintly worth you going for a consult if he accepts your insurance. Like I said most of the highly recommended md's will only accept very few insurances. What insurance do you have? I know his office is very willing to work with patients. I do know there are many dr's at ucla that are also very good.
        When are you planning on having your surgery? Will this be your first? If you have any questions at all, please ask. God knows I have been through it all!!

Sarah

Comment

Sarah

Wow...4 surgeries. You must be a pro at it by now. Why so many surgeries? May I ask your age at the time of your surgery?
          My insurance is United Health Care. Dr. Shamie does except this insurance. I'm not sure if the others accept it though. I have not had any surgeries. I was thinking of having surgery around December when it is cooler tempertures. It probably gets too warm wearing whatever brace I will be wearing if it is in the summer time.

Thanks Sarah

Debbie
          Last edited by DebbieM; 03-29-2006, 12:23 PM.
          T2 to Sacrum
          Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
          Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
          Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Debbie,

I too have United Health Care PPO. They were great to pay for everything for my surgeries. All i had to pay was my co-pay for inpatient which was 500 dollars and then they paid at 100%. Im not sure if you have the same coverage but now I am for sure that they accept your insurance, because that is what i have.
            When I had my first surgery I was 14 years old. I am now 24. I broke one of my rods when i was 18 and had to go in for the second surgery. Then after that i had alot of pain and still do, six years later. Then i went through the 3rd surgery to take out the rods an the 4th because they found that my fusion did not heal at T-10-11. Now my 5th surgery will be to fuse L4-5 S-1. It sucks that i am so young but I cant be in pain for my life. Scoliosis according to my dr is one of those things that you just have to go to a md that has alot of experience doing surgeries.
            Dr. Pashman at Cedars does specialize in Scoliosis. I will get another dr name for you. He is also in los angeles. Do you live in la? I live in bakersfield, so i have to drive to see all my dr's.

I think it is a good idea to do your surgery in dec. I had all my surgeries in the summer and it did suck. I was hot all the time, but the only good thing was at night i would go on walks when it was warm outside.

keep in touch..

Sarah

Comment

Sarah

I live in Las Vegas. There must be new technology for the surgery since when you had your first one. Hopefully this one does the trick. Cannot blame you for not wanting to be in pain anymore, you are too young for that. I wish you the best on the 5th attempt.
              I will also be driving to see the dr. at UCLA. I have a friend coming with me. It will be a day trip.

Keep in touch also....
              Debbie
              T2 to Sacrum
              Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
              Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
              Bevery Hills, CA

Comment

Working...