Different Types of Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Types of Rods

Hi guys, i have a question for anyone who can asnwer me, i have been reading alot of post from people who had the surgery done and used the harrington rods, almost everyone had to have the rods taken out because of infection. I want to know what type of rods are the safest and is there any other type of corrective surgery for scoliosis. I will really like to know, especially from those who had the surgery(s) done. I just need to know as much as possible before i go under (lol). Thanks again.

I just want to say thanks to all of you that sent me emails and everything i really appreciate it. Thanks, i love you guys for it.

used the harrington rods, almost everyone had to have the rods taken out because of infection. I want to know what type of rods are the safest and is there any other type of corrective surgery for scoliosis.
    It's not that common to have the rods taken out for infection-though it does happen. I would go to a different facility if that is what's happening to their patients. Also, in the US Harrington rods are not used because they do not hold the spine in a natural front to back curve. I'm talking the natural lordosis/kyphosis we are all supposed to have.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Chayil...

It's actually very rare that implants have to be removed because of infection. Overall, I think infection rate is somewhere around 2%, and a very small portion of those have to have their implants removed. There is a risk, however, so you have to be prepared to take that risk or not have surgery. I think it's good to concern yourself with complications, but think you'll get a sort of slanted view here, as people who DON'T have complications are far less likely to post about their outcome.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had Harrington rods implanted 20 years ago to correct kyphoscoliosis. So far, I have had no problems at all.

Andy

Comment

Working...
        X