Any teens to answer my questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any teens to answer my questions?

I'm only 13 but my back, it started bothering me alot more so I started going to the chirpotrer (i've been going for around 2 months) and I felt alot better.
    Just 2 days ago I went to a docter who specializes in bones and stuff and I found out I have 30 degree curves and need a brace. I also got measured for my brace (a Boston brace) and I'm expecting to get it in about a week.
    I'd feel better if some teens (or adults, really) could answer my questions.

1. Ok, clothes. I'm going on a shopping spree about I get a brace since I wear my clothes pretty tight and nothing is going to fit. I don't want anyone to notice the brace so what kinds of clothes should I look for? If it's possible I don't only want to wear baggy clothes. Are there any flattering kinds of clothes that also hide the brace?

2. When you first started wearing the brace, could people tell something was differant? Was it noticable?

3. Like I said, I don't want anyone to know. Anyone. Is that possible?

4. Does a brace make you look fat?

5. How uncomfy is it at first on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being worst)

Oh, I'm so mad!!!!! WHY ME?
    Last edited by MrsJamesDean; 03-24-2006, 12:12 PM.

Ok you can wear clothes that aren't baggy but you also can't wear clothes that are skin tight either because the brace will show no matter what clothes you wear but if their just a slight baggy its harder to tell because i have a brace that the plastic goes up into up left underarm so if i sit a certain way people can tell its there. #2 you NEED to tell your friends because they can help you though this and in a couple months they will even forget that you have it. I've actually gotten more friends because of my brace because people are interested in what scolio. is so you become really good friends with that person. #3 No the brace doesn't make you look fat it actually makes you skinnier i've had my brace for a year and 4 months (on the 28th of this month) and i have lost a total of 5 lbs because of my brace and since i'm in all these different sports (read below) but thats not all together a bad thing. LOL. And #4 to me i really don't remember all that much about the first day with my brace all i remember is that you don't have to wear it 23 hours the first day it starts off as one and then 2 then 4 and so on. So back then it was probably a 4 or 5 but now sometimes i am so comfy in it i have to check to see if i have it on so now its a 1. And i have to say this again: Tell your friends about it, and if someone asks about it tell them try not to make up excuses about it because that never helped anyone. LOL You will find you make alot of new friends with this brace and everyone (well maybe not everyone) will understand about it. Hope I helped.

~Sammie~

Brace:TLSO
    Worn It: 1 year 4 Months
    Have To Wear It: Get It Off Next Feb.
    Support: My Friends Old and New
    Sports: Softball, Volleyball, Some Running (not track), Skiing, and some games i've made up to get me moving.
    Fav Saying:~~Best Friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget~~ and ~~ Girls Have Curves, Real Girls Have Curves In Their Spines~~

Comment

im 15 and im having surgery in june this year. but im wearing a brace for comfort, not for revearsing the curve. any questions? please email me, lroyek@yahoo.com

ps, i know what you mean when you say WHY ME?? 1/100 people have scoliosis. and out of that one person 1/100 have surgery. so thats 1/10,000 chances to have surgery. and of couse, it's me! so as we scoliosis people say "WHY ME?"

Comment

answers

hmmm...I don't have a brace, but maybe I can be of help.

1. Clothes: I think the new styles in shirts are kind of gathered at the top, and loose & flowing at the bottom. They are tight on some people, so try the next size up. DOn't worry, no1 will notice that ur shirt is too big or something. I don't know about the jeans cuz the style is tight.

2. cant answer.

3.If I were you, I would tell only my closest friends. If you do sports ur friends aren't in, you could possibly say you had a back injury, but tell the closest ones the truth.

4. these braces are tight and flat plastic-y, so as you tighten it more and more, you will probably look skinnier, and maybe it will look like you have nice abs.

5. I better be honest. You will probably be in a lot of pain in the beginning, but it will go away. just tell ur parents if it's really bad.

why you? because terrible things happen to good people maybe? I don't know, but Look up this revolutionary new brace called Spinecor. Maybe you could get that instead, since there really isn't much proof that hard braces work in the first place.

HI
        Im 15
        im pretty outgoing
        JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
        in the 30s.
        somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

Hiyaa, now i dnt want to disagree 2 much with the other comments u hav recieved coz they r relli gd itz just one lil bit. Seriously u can get clothes which hide the brace totalli, if u dnt believe me email me n i will send you sum pics of me wearing my brace with clothes ova the top lol. (faerieprincess3@hotmail.com). I do agree that u shood tell your friends, but onli your close friends relli if you dnt want it all over the school lol itz what i did n my mates hav been relli supportive! Hope dis helps...
          Last edited by faerieprincess; 09-19-2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X