Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antidepressants and surgery

Hi Everyone
    Well, saw my surgeon yesterday with the intention of finally booking my surgery ( 1 level fusion and 1 level disc replacement) but have had to delay it because I have just started Lexapro for my depression and anxiety disorder.
    I know compared to the rest of you it seems a tiny op but the amount of pain Im in from my scoli, degenerated and bulging discs is very debilitating.
    has anyone been on antidepressants before and during surgery? I think with my history I'll be on them long term but I ve read you need to stop them a week before surgery due to their bleeding tendency. My surgeon says I have up to a year to play with before it becomes urgent but Im concerned that the ongoing pain is just going to feed the stress of waiting. Im in such a low mood right now I don't know what to do with myself. Thanks for listening.
    Take Care
    Cathy

Hey, don't ever compare yourself to others! Your surgery is NOT a small surgery! Nor is your pain less than ours. I have not been on anti-depressants either before or after surgery. But after surgery, my therapist told me that if I felt depressed after another week, I would have to ask my doctor for some. I wish I could help you on this one. Just hang in there, and get another opinion if you question this one.

Comment

Cathy, At the time of my surgeries (and still to this day) I was on Prozac and Trazodone for depression and aniexty. I was not told to stop taking them before my surgeries, in fact the week before my surgeries I had to add some Ativan to help. While I was in the hospital they gave me my required meds along with the pain meds. I hope this helps you.
      Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
      Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
      Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
      Fused T2 to sacrum
      June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
      MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Zoloft

I was (and still am) on a very low dose of Zoloft for depression because of the pain. I was told not to discontinue it. The hospital gave me my usual amount every day. I was not allowed to bring my own prescription. They administered the required amount from their pharmacy at the hospital. I know you cannot take aspirin but never heard about anti-depressants. Good luck to you. LYNN
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        2001 Right Scapular Resection
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Hi Cathy...

You will definitely need to discuss it with your surgeon, but I don't think there's any contraindicationo with anti-depressants and surgery. I think you may be thinking of anti-inflammatories.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far,it has made me feel not quite so alone with this.
            Linda R, The pharmaceutical literature I have says to be very cautious when taking SSRI'S with NSAIDS (anti_inflammatories) as they both cause GI upset and possible bleeding.My doc even advised taking my Mobic in the evening and the Lexapro in the morning for this reason.
            I've also read that antidepressants should be discontinued at least 72 hours before surgery due to possible complications with the anaesthesia and the bleeding factor, that's why I was concerned and wanted anyone's experience with this if possible.
            Also if anyone has been on Lexapro did it make you feel really drugged up when you started taking it?
            Thanks again
            Cathy

Comment

Lexapro did make me feel a little "drugged" in the beginning but that wore off after about a week of taking it. My appetite also decreased at first but then it got back to normal.

Comment

Hi Cathy...

Maybe it's a specific drug. I've been on an anti-depressant for about 15 years, and have had several surgeries during that time. I was never told to stop taking the medication, and was even given the medication in the hospital after surgery. Also, I have a copy of the UCSF Spine service "Surgical Planning Guide." It states to stop NSAIDS, aspirin, anticoagulants, and herbal preparations, but does not mention anti-depressants.

Obviously, you should check with your surgeon's office, but I think you're probably going to be fine.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lexipro & Surgery

Hi Cathy,
                  I had A/P surgery for T6 to L5 this last October, and I have been on Lexipro now for 2 years. I was never asked to give up the drug, in fact I asked my gp if I should up the dosage due to pre-op anxiety. I'm on 10 mg and tried 20mg for about a week, but got dizzy, etc. so went back to 10. I am 54 years old, fusing fine, had no major complications, though I now lean to the left slightly and bend forward, especially at the end of the day when I'm tired. I think the antidepressants are the least of your worries, and I wish you all the best!
                  Singing the Blues
                  Female 1951
                  A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
                  Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

Working...
                  X