No announcement yet.

So why am I pain-free all of a sudden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why am I pain-free all of a sudden?

I swear, ever since I've been seriously contemplating surgery, my back feels GREAT. I sat in class for two hours last night and did not have pain. I went to the mall and shopped for two hours yesterday afternoon and didn't have pain. This really gives me pause. HOWEVER, when I saw myself in the dressing-room mirror, I was dismayed at how folded-over and crumpled my left side is -- it's obviously gotten worse in the last six months, which is the last time I saw it in a three-way mirror. And when I walk fast I feel like I'm being kind of being gently punched in my torso on the left side.

But I really have to laugh that my pain seems to have gone away for now. I swear it's psychological....it's my back saying, "I'm fine, really, really I am! Don't let them cut me.....!" !!!!

Of course, the REAL test will be yard work....
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

I had many a day like that & I thought heck, I don't need the surgery! Then there's the many evenings that I can't get myself out of my chair or up off the bed! Then I feel like I'm 80...

Comment

It does work that way

I had the same thing when I went to the surgeon last month to discuss surgery. When he asked if I was in pain, the only places I had it were my neck and sciatic area, which probably won't even be effected by surgery. There was none in the 75 degree left lumbar curve that I have suffered with for 10 years so it was almost like, why do you want surgery?

Of course, once I sit or stand for a long period, or get another spasm, it will be right back. Also, once I thought I would get surgery, I started doing exercises and going to the pool to prepare for it and that has helped get rid of the pain for now. It's easy to forget how bad it was when it leaves for a while.

Deb

Comment

Hi Singer...

I think we're far more likely to remember the pain then to remember no pain. Perhaps you might want to keep a pain log for 3-4 months to see how much pain you're actually having.

I also have on/off pain. When I'm in the midst of one of the periods of pain, I question what I'm waiting for. Then, I'll have long periods of time where I'll have pain in response to being on my feet for any length of time, and more moderate random pain, and I think I could probably go for a long time without surgery. It's a tough call.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for replies. Linda, the pain journal is an excellent idea. What I realize is how amazing and novel it feels when I have no pain -- evidence that I usually have it to some degree and am so totally used to it. As mentioned, what gets to me the most is the odd, jabbing, and constrictive feeling I have on the left side -- where Dr. Boachie said my rib cage is starting to crowd against my diaphragm. Sometimes when I lay on my right side at night I feel like my left rib cage weighs a ton. I suppose the effects of the rotation I have is worse than the effects of the actual curve (which is 70, after all..)

Oh well, I'm not going to see him again till the summer or fall so I may as well relax. (Yeah, RIGHT!!!)
          Chris

Comment

on the subject of relaxing...

Hi everyone,

This thread really rang a lot of bells for me! Once again it was great not to feel alone with dilemmas about pain, surgery, etc.

One revelation I had with my MD was her change in response to me when she saw the pain journal I had been keeping. (I actually thought I was in more pain than I was - but for her I think it made her realise how much pain I had been in for so long! She fairly sprang into action.) So I definitely recommend it too.

On the subject of relaxing, Singer... anybody got any constructive ideas for those times when there is nothing to do but wait, and sometimes you just can't get these issues out of your mind?! I am open for new ideas!

Thanks... Laura
            30y/o
            Upper curve around 55
            Lower curve around 35

Comment

Of course, after doing way too much yesterday because the ol' back felt terrific, I could hardly get out of bed this morning and it hurt big-time all day.

I hear you, Laura...what to think about besides the back? It's amazing...I've dealt with difficult things before, but for some reason this issue -- contemplating surgery -- takes the cake. It's because it's elective. If it were something like the heart or the brain or something immediately life-threatening, it would not be so agonizing. But to have this big fancy surgeon look at you and say, "It's entirely up to you" -- that blows my mind. Compounding the agony is that I don't think anybody in this country really trusts our healthcare system anymore --no matter how good a reputation our chosen surgeon and/or hospital has. There are just too many variables over which we have no control -- including the future.

A friend of mine who's an intensive-care nurse has offered to go to New York and stay with me for a week when I have this done. That made me feel a lot better about things.
              Chris

Comment

It's so hard to keep it off your mind...

Yes, I agree with you all! I have found all of this to be quite a challenge! I do believe the hardest part, at least in my case, was making the decision to go ahead with it all in the beginning of January(jan 1st! The rest of January was rough. Then February was a little tiny bit better & then March(almost over..) was ok. My husband & I agree that this forum has helped me greatly! At this point in time, I seem to be somewhat at peace with my decision. That does'nt mean I don't think of it every day..I do! I just practice being positive & work on my patience & stay strong since I'll need those qualities when I'm home after the surgery. Anticipation of the unknown is the worse! I work only a couple days a week but it keeps my mind off it for a time. I also applied at Kessler(rehab facility) to help out. I made a donation to my Doctor's foundation(FOCUS). That really made me feel good! I bought a few nice pillows last week & that made me happy! Try to keep busy & have faith!
                enough rambling on....Ly
                Surgery this Aug...

Comment

Right, Lynne. I'm just glad I can whine about how scared and worried I am HERE, because I'm being brave and stoic at home so my 10-year-old doesn't worry. (she's just delighted that I'm shrinking almost as fast as she's growing -- we're almost the same height!!!!!!)

Keeping busy is key.
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X