Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spinal Stenosis, DDD and herniated discs! Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinal Stenosis, DDD and herniated discs! Oh My!

Hi Everyone! Almost a year past my surgery and all of these new problems have been diagnosed. I am still in a lot of pain and probably looking at two more surgeries. I am considering applying for Social Security. Any advise? It has taken a team of doctors to put together all of the puzzle pieces about all of the problems with my back. But when I have mentioned social security, it seems like they all want me to go thru another doctor. My PCP wants me to talk to my surgeon, my pain mgmt Dr wants me to talk to my PCP, etc. On top of all of the pain, I am pretty sure that I am now progressing into depression due to the frustration, pain, worry, lack of sleep and $$$. Why are they all so reluctant to lay it all out for me and be honest about my total recovery prognosis? And help me survive until I am able to actually return to work? I worked for a hospital for eight years, and there is no way that I could work in any kind of a health care setting in this much pain. Sometimes doctors are so out of touch about the total needs of a patient.

SS Blues

Hey Caligirl,
    I applied for disability soon after I left work before my surgery. You can do it online these days, but still have to jump through many hoops to get anything done. I am still awaiting a judgment 7 months later, after supplying them with more info on myself than I knew I had! It has been very frustrating, but what else can you do? I am unable to work due to this and several other conditions. I'm just trying to keep positive and hope for the best. If they can find a job that will take someone like me; more power to them! I've worked for over 30 years and have always been proud to take care of myself. Hopefully, that will account for something when all is said and done.
    Good luck with your struggle!
    Sharon
    Singing the Blues
    Female 1951
    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

ssdi

hi
      the drs are giving you a run around about applying for disability because it is a real pain in the neck for them! i had one dr flatly refuse to fill out the social security questionaire, and he was the one that put me out of work! said they had all the info they needed from the mri's and his office visit notes! (i did get approved) get a copy of the progress notes from every visit from every dr you have seen, as well as copies of reports on all mri's, cat scans, emg's, etc and file. the more paperwork you have, the less they have to try to get from the docs. and every time you see a dr, wait a week or so, for the report to be typed, then tell the office you need a copy of that latest note. you have a long haul ahead if you do file. the first 6 months you are out of work are your waiting period, and most people are denied at least once. it could easily take over a year to get approval. i hired a lawyer as soon as they told me to stop working. the lawyer does not get paid until you win, then they get a % of your first (retro-active check) it was a big chunk of change, but to me it was worth it. i had enough other things to worry about. good luck.
      sharon s

Comment

Working...
      X