Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fitness and scoliosis

Hello all-

I had corrective fusion surgery in the thorasic region of my spine in 1989 through the harrington rod procedure. I was 9 years old at the time and today I'm 26. I'm fit, but just recently have started a work out regime to get more toned muscular. Is there any risk with my scoliosis to working weights? Has anyone had any problems or tried this before and had good results?

Additionally, I wonder if there is any benefit to building up back and shoulder muscles with scoliosis. I have a rib hum and considered building the muscle on my left shoulder blade opposite the rib hump to see if there is any better cosmetic result. Any ideas?

Thanks-
    Chris

I just turned 20 and I have an S curvature of scoliosis. I visited a physician about it a few years ago and he recommended not getting surgery, as I have some sort of equilateral S curvature that each part is roughly 40 degrees. Luckily I don't have a real visable deficit, but I've always been very self-concious, I still am.

Since the past summer I decided to go ahead with my physician's advice about staying in shape for my back. I probably took it over the top in doing so. I now bike, light free weight training, self-body exercise, and the such. I've built up quite an athletic and muscular appearance I'm quite happy with. I haven't felt any pain from the experience at all, and maybe I'm just hoping, but I think it's help improve my posture somewhat. I always try to sit in a straightened fashion or sleep flat on my back when I can (it used to irritate me to sleep flat on my back) as to hopefully help my back out a bit more. I will have to visit a physician some time in the near future again and check on what's really going on though.
    Last edited by Conrad; 04-25-2006, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Runner/Hiker/Backpacker

I had surgery when I was 10... I'm 38 now. I've always been lucky and in good health, and have had NO post-operative problems with my back.

I started exercising almost immediately after getting my cast off (yeah, back then they made you wear a body cast for 9 months after surgery - ick). I rode my bike and was a general all around tom-boy. Never had any issues. I started lifing weights - light at first then got progressively heavier - when I was 18. Continued to lift throughout my 20's. No problems! Had always loved camping, hiking and backpacking and had no problems with any of that either.

I did have a baby when I was 32, no problems there either, but decided not to continue with the weights... at least not as heavy.

I now run, do yoga and lift light weights - mostly for tone. All with no trouble at all.

I may be 'lucky', but I do attribute some of my luck to simply continuing to move. At 38, I feel as athletically inclined as my gym counterparts who are at least 10 years younger than me. And the good news is... with a fit frame, not many people even know I have scoliosis unless I tell them.

Original curve - 68 degrees
      "Left over" curve - 30 degrees

Not too bad!!

Comment

Thanks for posting. It's encouraging to hear about excellent long term outcomes!
        Doesn't sound like your long term success was all luck, though! Good job!
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
        X