THe rods make me feel cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THe rods make me feel cold

I have a question for all of you that have had the surgery. I had surgery not that long ago on march 10th and my back feels really cold to me but when you touch it it feels just fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Feels cold to you (the rods and stuff feel cold) but to others it feels normal (the skin and all). If you ever feel this can you tell me why and how to make it go away? It makes me feel really cold and i can do anything about it because its on the inside of me. Thanks
    My name is sierra
    I am 17 years old
    Both my curves are between 55-60 degrees
    I had surgery on March 10th 2006

Post op my curves are 22 on top and 25 on bottom
    I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Hi Scolichick,

Glad to see you back on line. I have been praying for you since the day of your surgery.

I am very thin, so when I drink a lot of cold liquids at a restaurant and walk outside I get chills often. In my mind, I think it is my rods getting cold from the cold liquids in my stomach. Try warm drinks and see if the sensation goes away.

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

Hi Sierra,

My son hasn't said anything about the instrumentation feeling cold. His skin still feels pretty numb all around his incision - I can rub the scar cream on his incision with freezing cold fingers and he doesn't feel it, lol! Maybe your experiencing this sensation because your body is still adjusting and healing from the surgery itself You may have lost some weight, and I'm sure your body is working overtime to heal itself. Hope things continue to go well during your recovery, you sound like you're doing pretty well now! Take care -

Renee

Comment

When it is cold outside my back felt cold, I always just assumed it was because of the metal and the cold. So I've experienced exactly what your talking about, I'm not sure if it will go away Mine didn't in four years and I just had them removed but I'm sure it's one of those things that some people experince and others don't
        Erika
        Posterior spinal fusion 2001
        52* before first surgery
        23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
        33* before surgery
        30* after surgery

Comment

For a couple of years after I had Harrington rods placed in my back 20 years ago, they would ached when I was outside in very cold temperatures. Since then, I have noticed that my back ached maybe once or twice and it was well below zero outide.

Comment

Working...
          X