Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming home

Hi everyone

I just got the news that Carly is coming home today. I think both of us are a little scared about this, and wouldn't mind her staying in the hospital another day. Please share any tips or ideas on how to make the first few days easier. I'm really worried about keeping her comfortable, and helping her in and out of bed etc....

Thanks in advance

Suzanne

Suzanne,

I was a nervous wreck driving home from the hospital. We tried to leave at a time when traffic was light and go a route that had the least bumps....the interstate.

I set an alarm every four hours, even during the night, to make sure Briann's pain meds didn't run out. There were times when I thought she could go longer but at least for the first 2 weeks I just gave it to her non-stop. Make sure the hospital sends you home with enough medicine to last a while. We came home on a friday and her medicine ran out Sunday and since it was a narcotic class ? they couldn't just call it in. It all worked out.

Briann stayed in our room which is downstairs and next to a bathroom. She would roll to her side and I'd just help her get up. I removed all rugs, etc. that she might trip over. I made her get up and walk some every time she woke up. I heard that walking was extremely important. Make sure she stills blows in the machine to keep her lungs clear until she's up and moving more.

Briann also had strange leg pains in the middle of the night and I'd have to get up and put heat on them and rub them. Her appetite slowly but surely came back. She ate a lot of that drinkable yogurt. I gave her stool softeners and milk of magnesia and we walked as much as we could. This helped in that area.

We also put one of those oudside chairs (plastic and cheap) in our shower and bought a hand held shower head. That's how she took her shower for the first 2 or 3 weeks. A shower usually put her back in bed for hours. It is really exhausting.

You will be amazed at how fast she starts to recover once you're home. My prayers for both of you.

Cheryl M
    Last edited by Cheryl M; 03-18-2006, 07:18 AM.
    NCM

Comment

Working...
    X