Boachie recommends surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boachie recommends surgery

And he also says not to wait too long but waiting a year would probably be okay. He measured my curve (thorocolumbar) at 70 degrees -- from the old x-rays I had taken in January. The good news is, my spine is quite flexible and he thinks he can get a very good correction. The bad news is my discs are a mess and I have the start of a sideways shift or "slide" that could really accelerate the progression. At any rate, he wants to see me again in 6 months. I'm tentatively hoping to put surgery off til Spring '07 unless things go to hell in 6 months. I keep shrinking....!

Also, he says the position of the curve is not a danger to my lungs but to my diaphragm, and the disintegration of my discs will lead to nerve pain and weakness in my legs. He wants to do ant/posterior in one 8-hour surgery.

What a lovely man he is. He endured all of my questions very patiently and with good humor. I practically grilled the poor man.

If you would have told me a year ago I'd be seriously considering spinal fusion surgery I would have laughed you out of the room..............!!!!!!
    Chris
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

surgery

Hi Chris. Sorry to hear your curve might require surgery, but it sounds like a good plan that you're waiting 6 months before going back to Dr. Boachie. He did my surgery, also 8 hours and anterior/posterior. I liked the fact that he was not pushy and did not really push me into having the surgery...other doctors that I had gone to made my situation sound really urgent, but Boachie didn't.
    Heather
    Heather
    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
    Anterior/posterior surgery
    Fused T-11 to L-5
    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Heather,

Your curve(s) sound a lot like mine. My upper thoracic curve is compensatory only, about 30 degrees, and the severe curve is in my midsection (below the heart and lungs). Did you have pain before your surgery? And did you feel any crowding in your midsection? I do.

I'm glad you had a good experience with Dr. Boachie. Do you recommend the rehab you went to?

Sorry for all the questions --
      Chris
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

surgery

Hi Chris. Yes, I did have quite a lot of pain before my surgery. Sleeping was starting to become uncomfortable and I kept telling my husband we needed a new mattress. My pain was mostly on my left side in the upper lumbar area, mostly muscle related pain, but it just never seemed to go away.

I don't know where you live, but for rehab I went to Kessler, in West Orange, NJ. There are several locations. Because I was in rehab, I was sort of forced to move around and I think it helped me recover faster. Plus, when I left the hospital, I was transported in an ambulance to rehab, which also was nice because at that point, I could not have sat in a car.

By the time I left rehab and was home, I was able to climb steps and feel confident being on my own during the day. I also went to physical therapy, but not until after first post-op visit with Dr. Boachie.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask...
        Heather
        Heather
        Surgery date: April 20, 2004
        Anterior/posterior surgery
        Fused T-11 to L-5
        Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
        Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
        Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
        Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Working...
        X