is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this normal?

I'm awaiting a confirmation surgery date, but I know it will be sometime this May. I work in a very large bookstore, and I am bending, lifting and twisting all day. I also walk an average of two miles in an eight hour shift. Recent X-rays have revealed that my scoliosis has progressed another ten degrees in 2 weeks, and with that i've had numbness from my thighs to my toes, and a tightness in my chest that feels as though someone is pushing on it. I can still breathe, its just hard to. I usually have back pain and discomfort after working, but now it seems like its making me worse. Has anyone else experienced numbness in the legs, after activity or tightness in the chest?

Beachbum...

If your scoliosis REALLY progressed 10 degrees in two weeks, that's not normal. I wonder if you've got a soft tissue injury that is causing you to hold yourself differently.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

im not sure...but this isn't the first time it has progressed that much. When I was first diagnosed with scoliosis, I had x-rays by my family doctor, and my curve was 25 degrees, by the time I got in with a surgeon 2 months later and had xrays, it was at 55 degrees. Im just concerned, because now i'm at about 69 degrees, and worried that the numbness and tightness is related to the progression.

Comment

Hi...

I'm guessing that your family doctor had the x-rays taken in a different manner, or they were measured by someone who didn't really know how to do it. In children and immature teens, curves can develop very quickly. That stops, however, once you're skeletally mature. While curves often increase slowly (1-2 degrees per year) in adults, a rapid curve increase is definitely curious.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi i am sorry to hear that your curve is progressing that quickly, but i think that you should have other test done to make sure that the quick progression is only because of your scoliosis. Lately i have experience numbness in my right thigh if i sit for a long period of time and if i sit on a hard surface and then i try to stand i would lose balance and fall, but i am working around that (i try not to sit on hard surfaces lol). Keep us posted. Good Luck!!!!!

Comment

I had no idea that progression this quick wasn't normal. I guess it never occured to me that it was a big deal until I started having pain. thanks for your quick responses to my post, I'm going to ask my doctor about it right away. I know that progression slows down as one gets older but im 19, and I don't think im finished growing, maybe this explains it.

Comment

Some other factors to consider when you see such a fast progression in such a short time. Try to have your x-ray's taken at the same time of day each visit, I noticed that an xray taken early in the morning can look different than one taken at the end of the day after you've been on your feet all day. Also, I've noticed that each doctor may measure the curve differently from another which could swag the results a few degrees as well. I definitely have not heard the progression that you are describing, of course I also don't know doctors who take x-rays only 2 weeks apart from one another.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Beachbum...

I made an assumption that you were female, but I just realized you might be male. A 19 year old female should be finished growing, but a male might have a small amount of growth left.

Regards,
                Linda

Comment

Were all the x-rays taken standing or were some of them taken lying down? Some people have noticiable difference between standing and supine xrays

..and were the ones with progression taken toward the end of the day?

I know I personally 'shrink' toward the end of the day and 'stretch out' after a good night of sleep.
                  30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                  2005 - T50, L31
                  bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                  2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                  Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Those are some good points that I hadn't considered. I guess it just freaks me out with how fast its progressing, and worried about the symptoms that come along with it. Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Hey I had fast progression too. Mine was mostly do to my active lifestyle while playing sports, working, and always on the go. Mine progressed, fifteen degree in a month and a half from diagnosis to surgery and was about 63 at time of surgery, that was five years ago near the end of my growing time. which would in turn equal to about where you are now. I have three brothers and tons of young uncles and they all grew about three-four inches in there beginning years of college. So what your experiencing isn't that unusual. I had the shortness of breath and toe-numbing and the discomfort from heavy stress during the long days. I actually still do sometimes, even after post-op, but not as bad or as often. (now 14/14/16) So, the surgery will help. And p.s. dont worry so much the stress is bad for you and being over prepared can actually be a bad thing sometimes. It can freak you out and put your mind on some very unlikely ideas. Anyway. just take it as it comes. -Ali (almost 18, five years post, and doing great)

Comment

alleycat...

wow i feel a lot better knowing that I'm not the only one! i'm going to take your advice and not be "too prepared", I agree that stress can make things worse. Its nice to know that you are doing great now!

Comment

beachbum---
                          I'm due for surgery on Aug 1st & sometimes I feel it's getting worse pretty fast.. The more I'm on my feet in a day, the more my back really bugs me at night.....I just thank the lord there's help on the way!!!!!!
                          ps. good luck w/ your surgery &
                          pss. sometimes I feel a tiny bit different in the left leg(toes feel a tiny bit numb at night--weird http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
                          Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 03-22-2006, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X