No announcement yet.

15 mons post op wants rod out!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 mons post op wants rod out!!!!!!!!!

First time posting. My son is 17, had surgery year ago Dec. Has a congential deformity at the base of his spine, determined at this time to be uncorrectable. 12 inch rod put in T8-L3. Curve is if I remember is at about 19 now. Lower spine still curved from deformity. My daughter who is now 23, had surgery 2000, 18 months later had rod removed sufferring from constant pain, muscle spasms etc. Doing well now. Son wants same. His trouble pain at top of rod where he feels a poking sensation. Rod is curved out from spine on xray. Very thin young man. anyone struggled like this? Needing rods removed, more pain, just different after surgery? Any one deal with congenital deformity, base of spine, where column takes off of pelvic bone? Just looking for any input.
    Thanks.
    momo7

15 mons pre-op want rods out

momo7. I had my rods removed 1 year after surgery and my spine was not fused so deformity came back within 2 weeks. Had to go in for a third time and have rods put back in. The reason they were taken out to begin with was because I had a screw come loose and pushed 1 rod out. It was poking out my back and was very painful. My Dr. removed both rods thinking I would be fine but it didn't turn out like that. I personally would not have my rods taken out if not absolutely necessary. Everyone is so different. I have read posts on here where people have had rods taken out and no problem.
    Personally I would make sure that his spine was fused good before I had them removed. That is of course just my opinion. Good luck to your son hope everything goes well for him.
    Mattie

Comment

Working...
    X