Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how soon do you know where you'll be fused???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how soon do you know where you'll be fused???

Last week I got my pre-op appmt for July, 5 days before the surgery. I thought I'd see the Dr. on my test day in June but I don't think so. Did most of you ask your questions at pre-op because I'd much rather forward my questions & get some feedback before then???? The question most on my mind these days is where I'll be fused. I really am hoping they only have to go to L-4 & I'm afraid I'll be a L-5 or sacrum case. Did most of you know where you'd be fused earlier than the pre-op appmt???? Or do they need to do the other tests to tell??? thks all--Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I knew before I scheduled my surgery date. But I was in a state of shock after he mentioned the ant/post approaches (I was hoping for only one ) I really can't remember everything he said that day.

Shari

Comment

Hi Lynne -

My surgery is in May and my doctor told me where I would be fused at my appointment in February. I am like you in the sense that I would not be comfortable waiting until days before surgery to get that information. I have had time to process the ins and outs of this surgery and I feel good about it. If I were you, I would contact the doctor and ask all the questions you have.

Best of Luck,
      Brandi
      Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
      Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
      http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi Lynne -- Dr. Boachie has an e-mail address on the hospital website.....have you tried that?

Or maybe I'll just tell him to give you a ring when I see him on Thursday !!!
        Chris
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

thinkin' about it too much!

hi singer,
          I e-mailed his nurse today about that... she handles that stuff for him.. I did'nt know if they can estimate that fusion point just from x-rays,MRI??? I know it said I needed to do another MRI(lower area).. I'll go crazy waiting till July & a week before surgery to ask any questions I have. This fusion point is really my main question now cause I'm real nervous about fusing me real low & real high.. Geez, he's such a great surgeon, I just want him to do what's best... I think I'm a nervous wreck today. I have been so good for weeks & today I'm worried...Ly

Comment

My surgeon knew from the measurements that he took using my x-rays where the fusion points would be and told me in Oct (surgery was in Feb). The MRI was more or less to make sure that there were no underlying issues like bone degeneration or a misformed vertebrae.

I took a pen and pad of paper to every appt. and walked in with a list of questions and walked out with answers to those questions and any other information he offered during my visit. He was great in that he would not let me leave the office until every question on my list had been answered I had a great surgeon! The notebook really helped me because you leave those appts. with so much information in your head, it's impossible to remember it all.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

For me, the anticipation of having the surgery was as difficult mentally, as the actual surgery was physically. I had 5 months to dwell on it. I saw him in Nov. and I asked him if I could wait until after Mother's Day because of my work. It's very hard not to think about every little detail, and it's scary. You have every right to feel how you feel.

No matter where your fusion begins or ends, you have faith in Dr. Boachie to do what's best for you. When I got down, I would think of my faith in my Dr. and it helped me get through some of the rougher days. I feel for you, and I understand what you're going through. You have been in my prayers also.

Please don't think that how you are feeling is not normal!!!

Thinking of you,
              Shari
              Last edited by Shari; 03-14-2006, 01:38 AM.

Comment

thks shari,
                this forum has really helped! I guess I got a bit antsy the last few days. Maybe because I'm about halfway on my waiting now... I think what it is too, is I have'nt got my packet of information yet from the office. They seem to wait until 2-3 mths before. I just want to get some feedback on a few questions before I go in for the pre-op. I'm still in this anxious mood today & I have to just forget it & move on, keep busy! aaaghhh!!!( & I watched medical miracles last night..good outcome but I did'nt need to see a scoliosis operation--- I could have chged the channel-right??!) Ly

http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                X