PDA

View Full Version : When and why is an MRI prescribed?

cyprusmom
03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
We were just asked to get an MRI on my daughter who has 40T and 30L curves. Anyone else had one and what does it exactly tell for scoliosis and when is it usually prescribed? Thanks

Celia
03-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure, but isn't it standard to do MRI's before surgery or if there is suspicion of spinal cord issues ?

cherylplinder
03-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Yes, I believe it is standard. Our ortho told us that he routinely does an MRI to rule out any underlying causes of scoliosis ( such as a problem with the spinal chord.) For us it was a precautionary measure. Sounds like he is just being thorough.

Snoopy
03-12-2006, 08:03 AM
My daughter only had an MRI before surgery. They were checking the size of her pedicles to see if they could use screws during her surgery or not.

I think an MRI is pretty much standard when a young child is diagnosed with Scoliosis to rule out other problems.

Mary Lou

Karen Ocker
03-12-2006, 12:54 PM
My surgeon told me I needed the MRI to see the condition of the discs below my fusion which would determine whether I needed to be fused to the sacrum.

The discs were all in bad shape-I also had a 40 deg curve lumbar so they wore unevenly as well.

No pain at all now.

DEHS09emily
04-24-2006, 10:04 AM
i only had a MRI because they thought that i had a syst on my spine...which turned out to be untrue

and they also checked my disks and stuff like that