PDA

View Full Version : What forms of Non Surgical Treatments have you tried?

Joe O'Brien
10-02-2003, 06:39 AM
I would like to get an overview of the various treatments patients have tried for their scoliosis, whether it was for pain management, holding or reducing the curve, or just to look and feel better.

Thanks for participating.

LindaRacine
10-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi Joe...

If you have the ability, you might want to add acupuncture.

Also, it would be great to get some idea of whether the patient feels the treatments were helpful. (e.g. Extremely helpful, somewhat helpful, not helpful, made pain/function worse.)

Joe O'Brien
10-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Linda:

I agree but the polling options are limited. So I thought I would take it one step at a time. Although I agree that acupuncture is popular and perhaps should replace one of the less popular options.

I anticipate having several poll surveys regarding success/ failure for various forms of alternatives/bracing/medications and surgery. In fact it may be interesting to mirror the SRS-22 outcome measurement tool.

cristyannw
12-06-2003, 11:15 PM
I've TRIED chiropractics, but did it work?! No WAY! I felt totally dependent on it and decided to get away from it all together. I'd love to see a column added to your poll that rated if you felt that it worked or not.

Interesting findings.
Cristy

JoshuaL
12-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Here is a list of approaches to caring for my scoliosis that I've tried:

Treatment based: Chiropractic, osteopathy, cranio-sacral therapy, Mitzvah Technique, massage therapy.

Exercise based: Pilates, physical therapy, Feldenkrais, Yoga.

Educational: Alexander Technique.

I think I had a similar experience to Cristy with chiropractic and the other treatment based approaches. They made me feel better, but as I left the treatment place I could feel myself going back into a way of moving that made my scoliosis harder to manage.

The method that has helped me the most has been Alexander Technique. I found that AT helped me learn to move in a way that made it much more comfortable to have scoliosis. I got so into it that I did a three year training course to become a teacher. I'm now teaching AT in a chronic pain group class and I have my first individual scoliosis client. I look forward to sharing AT with more people who have scoliosis.

I also use Pilates and Feldenkrais to improve my movement coordination and keep me supple. I would say that it's important to be going to a very experienced and skilled teacher when doing exercises. Sometimes they can do more harm than good.

Happy New Year
Joshua
www.moving-living.com

czueb9291
01-04-2007, 08:27 PM
I am 77 years old and suffering from scoliosis. It is a debilitating disease all right! I was to a back clinic and was told I had 3 options, none of which were any good. Surgery would have been for 10 to 12 hours with one year recuperation. Years ago I asked the dr. at a pain clinic what was the worst thing that could happen to me and he said a wheel chair. Right now I feel as if I am reaching that point. My back no longer is hardly able to hold my body up and there's a big painful "lump" on my left side where my spine curves. I have a 4 wheel cart I use for support when walking outside, etc. and have now progressed to using a 3 wheel cart for support for use in the house. I want to avoid a back brace. Regards, Elaine

amae28
01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
for me, i've had 6 cortizone shots, pain meds, muscle relaxants, TENs unit, physical therapy, and yoga- all with minimal or not effect.

Karen Ocker
01-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I did do Pilates for 4 years before my surgery and I did get some pain relief and improved stamina. But not with breathing. I also tried to walk 12 miles a week but in time i could not stop the progression and the associated problems.

In experienced hands successful surgery is done into the 80's provided there are no other significant medical problems. The trick is to find the right doctor with experience with older adults--like my doc.

Of course nobody wants surgery!!!!I had mine 4 years ago at age 60 and THAT was a revision of earlier surgery done in 1956. BUT I am able to work and pain free.

In my case the alternative was to smother to death; I did not like getting out of breath just talking at age 59, tilting to one side and waking up at night in pain. As a medical person I KNEW what was in store for ME.
I chose to take the risk.

czueb9291: The only other thing that might help you is the Schroth method which is being tried on adults. An in-patient rehab/exercise disclipline that you must keep up permanently at home. You can also get more stamina and some pain relief with Pilates-but you must use a certified Pilates instructor not tapes or a gym the "does Pilates".

structural75
01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
czueb9291,

Given your age I would recommend Structural Integration over an 'exercise' based method that's going to require absorbent amounts of time, money and energy for years to come. It is not as popularly known as Pilates, Yoga, Scroth, etc. simply because as a profession it has not sought to become a mass marketed commercialized discipline.

At this point it's not realistic to try and 'change' your curvatures, but you could almost certainly benefit from Structural Integration to increase the quality of life, increase mobility and reduce pain.

Best Wishes,
structural