Help - Searching for pain relief idea's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Searching for pain relief idea's

Hi I am new having just joined yesterday. I am amaized at all the differing experiences people have had, there are some very brave souls out there.
    I realise I have been one of the lucky ones.

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age ten and wore a millwaulkie brace up until age 17 the curvature continued to get worse and I had surgery that same year having the Harrington Rod inserted. This left only about 3 vertibrae that had any movement down the bottom. I have been fortunate having had 3 children with very few problems. I am now 38 and those three remaining vertebrae have worn considerably over the last 21 years leaving me with much pain in the last few months both muscular and nerve,

I have been looking into different alternative methods to relieve the pain as more surgery is all the medical proffesion can offer at this stage. Is there anyone who has found relief from this debilitating problem and if so can you please share them with us.Some days I cannot even straighten up and I am exhausted from the pain getting little sleep at night I have recently resigned from work as I was unable to function I want to find some relief so I can return to the work force and enjoy my family again, your ideas would be much appreciated both medically or naturally including what and how different medications may help. Thanks to you all.

Jen Q from Down Under

JenQ, I wish I could help you but I don't know what I could say that would help except I wish you the best of luck. Have you checked out a pain center. I have heard of people who have had good results with them. I don't wish surgery on anyone but if that would help you get back your life it might be worth it. I hope you get better........Mattie

Comment

Hi Jen...

I've had some success with physical therapy exercises to strengthen my abdominal muscles. This is, of course, not a permanent fix, and requires daily exercise, but I think it's worth a try if you're the type of person who can stick to it.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hello Jen,

I think what Linda said about exercises could be a great help, but are you using a sleep aid or muscle relaxer to get some sleep? I know it relaxes me and at least getting 5 or 6 hours of sleep in my case takes care of a lot of my pain and makes me able to get through the day after having rested, when I have bad days. Hot baths help a lot as well.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Jen,
          There are all types of exercises so possibly exploring with a physical therapist. Also, there are yoga programs for scoliosis patients and also restorative yoga with emphsis on ease of the stretch not the assanas or perfect positioning. I found that Chi gong for years has been one of the greatest pain management systems. But I also before I had surgery had an epideral which helped for awhile. My discs were degenerating until one was pinching my sciatic nerve. So, a neuro surgeon worked on the disks during the surgery for my scoliosis. Walking has also been a mainstay. Rain or shine I have to walk at least once a day, most days two. And I also do a series of stretches and chi gong. Time consuming but worth it.

Good Luck!
          Christine

Comment

I feel for you. For the past 10 years, until November '05, I was in constant pain. Sometimes I would walk like a stooped old woman simply because it hurt too much to stand up straight (if that makes sense). Short term helps were lying on the floor. It hurts like anything at first, but feels better after a few minutes. Of course, have someone to help you up! I also received some shots which helped. I wish I could offer something concrete for you. My prayers will be with you! Linda

Comment

Thank you

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my pain query I do understand when you (Linda) say that you cant stand up straight and walk around like an old woman due to the pain being so bad. I have booked into the physio as some of you have recomended that excersise has helped I will also check out the Pain centre and Chi it has to all help.

I have not tried muscle relaxers thanks for the suggestion. Can you please give me the names of some that may help I am interested in the differences between the support and medications available to people in the states as apposed to what is recomended and available here in Australia, one of them being the use of muscle relaxers as I have not had that suggested to me before.

On a different note I have been trialing the use of minerals as one of the Doctors I saw said a lack of minerals including Magnesium will contribute to the the high level of pain we often experience which can apparently be due to muscle spasms. I have only been on them for a week but can see a significant change in bouts of severe pain and the duration of it I hope this may help others The ones I am on are Blackmores Celloid minerals there are two types, one you can buy at the chemist and a more refined and easily absorbed one that is for practitioner dispensing only so you would need to see a Naturopath to obtain those (These are the ones I am using ) Thanks once again for everyone that has replied to my pain enquiry, much appreciated regards JenQ

Comment

Sleeping aid and more...

Jen,

I am from Canada, so the sleeping aid I use is called Imovane 7.5 mg. I don't know if it can be found in the States or in Australia, but I think Ambien resembles it a lot(although I've never tried Ambien, so I can't say for sure), since one of my doctors told me about it, b/c Imovane is from Europe. This blue pill is a GOD SEND, at least for me. I don't use anything in the day, but after I use it at night it helps me relax and sleep more than I could, and for many people just half the does does the trick, and it's not AS habit forming as others, as I have been using it for years and it still helps me so much. It's different than other sleeping pills, and in a category of itself. Maybe you can order it online.

Walking like some have mentioned helps so much too. I also have noticed that a good, slightly soft office hair helps a LOT. I used to move and bitch about sitting in any type of sofa(soft or firm), and even chairs before I decided after my last surgery a few months ago to finally get a good chair, with a pillow that I put for support.

Sometimes little ideas that we all share on this forum can give us such relief, and I also have taken some notes
                Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
                Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
                Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Pain Relief due to BLACKMORES MINERALS

Thank you Sweetness for your reply re the name of the sleeping aid Imovane that you are using much appreciated. I would also like to let everyone know that the minerals I started on a couple of months ago have brought me incredible pain relief I was told by a naturapath that the pain was possibly due to muscle spasms which would be relieved by the minerals, this seems to be correct and I am stunned by the results I have also gone on a low acid diet to reduce the inflamation. I am guessing the combination has been the answer I have seen about an 70% reduction in pain and if I stick to it consistently I am no longer walking around like a hunched over old woman I really hope this helps others as I was personally becoming very depressed due to the constant pain this is now no longer the case ( Yipee!!! ) I will list the four I am currently using below in case others may wish to try them.
                  They are Blackmores Professional Celliod Minerals ( Try to get the Professional ones as they are for Practitioner Dispensing only and are the best ones due to how fine they are hence they are easily absorbed )
                  I needed to take them about 5 times a day in the begining to get any results I am now down to 3 times a day.

1. Bio Mineral Formula (This one has calcium, magnesium, and other minerals combined)

2. P.C.I.P Potassium Chloride and Iron Phosphate

3. S.C.F Silicon Dioxide and Calcium Fluoride

4. S.P.P.S Sodium Phosphate and Potassium Sulphate

The low acid diet is great for assisting with the inflamation which I am guessing is caused by the muscle spasms. I had significant swelling around the lower back and left side this was putting pressure on the discs and nerves causing pinching which was very painful, at times I could not stand as putting pressure on my feet caused terrible pain,This has all subsided I was also combining this with a weekly massage to assist with the swelling which is now going down Good luck to all and I hope this helps.

Cheers JenQ

Comment

Sounds like everyone has their own little tricks for pain relief.
                    I thought I'd add mine.

I've found that my heating pad really helps. When I've been up doing at lot for the day or get home from work if I lay down for even just an hour with the heating pad on, it really helps alot. I think the heat relaxes the muscles in the back.

Also sometimes I rub a tiger blam type rub on my back. It gives off a hot/cold sensation that feels good and usually lasts a few hours. I've seen quite a few different brands at pharmacies.

Hope this helps!
                    Shelly
                    Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

Hi Jen Q
                      Greetings from the Gold Coast. Have you had much rain from cyclone Larry?
                      In regards to muscle relaxants the only one I know of is Valium. (Diazepam) I use it at night sometimes to aid sleep I only take half a 5mg tab because it can make you a bit dopey if you're not used to it. The pain meds I take are Mobic which is an anti-inflammatory and Capadex. Cathy.

Comment

The things I have found that have helped have been heat (especially an electric blanket) but also heating pads and hot showers. I often sit with my back up against a hot radiator too (lovely!).

Apart from that, I have done basic abdominal excercises (but you have to be careful and as Linda says do them daily) and have had a few rolfing sessions. The rolfing is in no way a cure and needs repeat visits but helps to get rid of some of the muscle strain. Your muscles get so tight through compression and stretching round the curve that my rolfer was able to just ease them out a bit. A session would give me releif from the serious spasms for about 3 weeks to 1 month. I have no idea if it would work for everyone though.
                        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
                        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
                        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Heat

It's always interesting how some things can be so helpful for some and do the opposite for others. I find that heating pads make my back swell so bad all around the rods, and I remember having gone through a tomogram(wich is a machine that you sit on and does heat your back) and I had such inflammation that it hurt for days after. So only icing helps the inflammation, but whatever helps it's good to stick to it.

Comment

Working...
                          X