Average gain in height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average gain in height

Hello everyone. I've suffered from scoliosis since a very young age. Unfortunately I was never lucky enough to get surgery. But what's stuck with me over the years is thinking the amount of height one can gain. As I remember, the doctor said I could gain approximately 4 centimeters (roughly 2 inches) in height. Recently I asked a doctor again as she walked by to make sure. The answer I got was quite hasty and a bit rude. She basically asked, "How old are you?" I answered 25. Then she said "you're not getting any taller" and then walked off.

I have the s curve and each deviation is tilted about 40 degrees. Anybody know how much can one gain in height approximately at my age after surgery? perhaps even more than 2 inches today with the improved techniques? I would sure like to know.

Also, is it possible to worsen the deviation if one does a lot of weightlifting?

Usually you gain an inch or two, although in adult sometimes there is little change as the spine is too stiff to improve much. Surgery is usually only advised if the curve is over 50 degrees.

Comment

My daughter who was 13 y.o. at the time of her surgery only gained aobut 1/2 inch.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I just had surgery in January and I gained 1 inch. I am 30 years old.
        Mine was a thoracolumbar 45 degree curve before surgery and it's now down to 7 degrees.

My surgeon told me before surgery that it was possible I could gain anywhere between 1-2 inches.

Hope this helps!
        Shelly
        Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

my surgeon told me that i probably wouldnt gain more than a half an inch and that is what i got. i wanted to get 2 inches so that i could say i was 6' tall, but i got a half inch from surgery and grew about another half inch so now i am 5'11". good enough.

Comment

My son gained almost 2 inches after his surgery in Dec. '05.

Renee

Comment

height

I gained 1-1/2 inches at age 60.

Part of the surgical technique involves shortening the spine as the curves are reduced. The discs are removed between the affected vertebrae to be fused and packed with bone graft.

I got a 50% reduction in all 3 curves-spectacular for a stiff skeleton.

k
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

My curve went from 54deg to 26deg, and my height went up by between 1 and 1.5 inches. I didn't measure myself before so I don't know exactly, but its at least an inch, and probably around 1.5 inches. Oh and I'm 23.

Comment

I lost 4 so far so I hope I go up at least 2 inches after surgery but that's not my major concern...I'd just love to get rid of this hump on my back! Ly

Comment

height gain

I gained 2 inches after my surgery at age 33. I think the height gain depends on the amount of correction achieved.
                    Heather
                    Surgery date: April 20, 2004
                    Anterior/posterior surgery
                    Fused T-11 to L-5
                    Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
                    Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
                    Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
                    Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I am 53 and done heavy weightlifting and powerlifting for 25 years. Dr Hammerberg in Chicago told me it is probably doing more harm than good. He recommende I stop. Now I only do none weight bearing stuff like chins and dips. No surgery yet. C30, T50, L40
                      Age 54, 30C-50T-40L
                      western suburbs of Chicago

Comment

Average gain in height

I gained 2 inches after my surgery. I agree that I think it depends on how much correction they achieve. I was 46 when I had first surgery and 48 when had second and third.
                        Lots of Luck - Mattie

Comment

I was 37 when I had surgery (turned 38 in the hospital), and I gained 2.5 inches. In high school I was 5'11" & 3/4, and before my surgery I was 5"8 and some. I had lost almost 3 inches in my height and never noticed. I am now 5'10 1/2" so I am not complaining! My hump did go "away" but there are a couple of ribs that stick out. SO much better than the hump though. My surgeon had told me it depended on the flexibility of the spine as well as the correction of the curve that would determine height gain.

Hope that helps
                          Jennlynn
                          Mother of 2 boys, ages 4 & 2
                          Fused L5-T5.
                          Curve 68* & 53* pre-op, 39 & 37 post.

Comment

I got nothing, well maybe a 1/4 of an inch. but i was promised about three inches b/c of my 60+ degree curve and got nothing. Now this upset me at first because I'm only about 5'5. but I learned to live with it. I will always be who I am. And another inch or two wouldnt change that. lol, check ya later-Ali

Comment

Working...
                            X