Surgery coming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery coming up

Hi my name is Kim and I found out that I had scoliosis a year ago. When I found out I had it, it was really suprising because my curves were at 43 and 47. I tried to wear the brace for a few months but it was extremely hard. My curve progressed, now my curve is 47 and 49 and I found out a few months ago that I need surgery. I though I was going to have it next year but now I found out I'm having it in May . I don't think it's really hit me yet, I'm starting get anxious and thinking about it. My main concerns are how much weight do you lose and how much do you grow? When do most people get back to normal activity ? I've been reading many books on it but I know that everyone person it different. If there is any general advice you have, please let me know.

Kim

My daughter is almost 15 months post-op. Jamie lost a few pounds-maybe, five. Sad to say, she only gained about 1/2 inch. She had hoped for two to three inches, but it just didn't happen.

Jamie didn't return to all of her normal activities until one year post-op. That seems to be the case with most kids. However, she was back at school part-time around four weeks; started p.t. at about three months; was in the pool at three months as part of her p.t. So, some activities you return to quickly, but things like some sports, you simply aren't allowed to do until one year.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask anything else you need to know.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I never got to return to normal activities, because after my surgery I grew 3-4 inches. This caused one of my rods to come lose and so I just had another surgery last december, it's been almost 5 years since my first, now my life is starting to become normall again by my surgery took four years out of my life. I'm going to be 18 in April. This isn't to make you nervous I just want you to understand things that may happen. If you have anyother questions feel free to email me, and I'll do my best to answer them

elessien@gmail.com

Erika
      Erika
      Posterior spinal fusion 2001
      52* before first surgery
      23* after first surgery

Rod removal surgery DEC 2005
      33* before surgery
      30* after surgery

Comment

Working...
      X