Surgery Date Scheduled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Date Scheduled

Hey guys just spent 45 minutes on the phone setting up the dreaded surgery date and pre op appointment. July 20th is the date. I'm glad to finally know but somehow my anxiety level just increased. I had no idea what 2 units of blood was, but after researching the internet I realized that 1 unit= 1 pint. 1pint=1pound. (TEEHEE) Thats one way to take the weight off.... Anyone else having surgery in July? How about some hot weather advise. The three kids will be home from school so that should be an interesting mix. Anyway just getting all worked up about the details.

Me too, right after you!

hi peachtree,
    we'll be pretty close--I'm august 1st as long as all goes as planned...I have 2 boys & I personally think the summer(at least part of) is better for this with having kids. Unstructured... Can you imagine getting them organized in the morning for the school bus..ours comes at 7:30...yikes! Also their are lots of camps p/t or fulltime that we can utilize when we need them. My husband will probably work from home as much as he can. I am already scouting out a mothers helper/ or sitter to help out & cleaning person.
    Once school starts in sept, we will get the school day break to rest.....I'm training my young men to get their own snacks & such... I set up a low shelf with cups, juice,snacks... also will try & get them on soccer/ sports teams with friends that are close by since I doubt I'll be driving......Ly
    Keep in touch...............http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

anterior/posterior surgery this Aug 1st.......

Comment

hi peach tree i will pray for u to b well soon .. dunt worry God is with u and our prayers too
      Best regards .. God bless u ..amen

Comment

Hi...

The only thing you might want to consider is that if your surgeon puts his patients in a post-op brace, it will be deathly hot in summer months.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Linda,
          Looks like I'll be in a brace in August..... Hey I wore the milwaukee brace for 2 summers many moons ago! I thk I'll be in the air conditioning & line up all the movies I want to see....!!! I feel like I need a brace now cause my back's killing me! Ly

Comment

brace in summer

Dr. Boachie had me wear a Jewett brace. It is really very light; he told me the brace is really to "remind" the patient not to move in the wrong way.
            It's only worn while up and around.
            K
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

thks Karen,
              the brace does'nt sound to bad... think I can handle that! thks again, you have really helped me out a lot---thks, Lynne

Comment

Congrats on both your surgeries! I know that the anxiety can be bad, but I am sooo glad that I had the surgery. The more prepared you are, the better, but I know you will be ok. My prayers are with you! Linda

Comment

Hi Peach,

I had to wear the "Turle Shell" brace from June thru mid September. I does goes warm. Just don't make the same mistake I did. Make sure it fits you properly before you leave the hospital!!!

Shari

Comment

Yeah I did the same thing. My brace did not fit right before I left the hospital.
                    I fought with it and kept getting it adjusted and trimmed here and there.
                    Finally about 2 months later they made me a new one it fit right. My first one kept getting bigger on me, because of all the weight I kept loosing. I had to wear mine for 6 months the first time. I did luck out though and my surgery was in the fall of the year. I wore my brace during winter. It was still mighty warm though. The more you wear it the more you will get use to it.
                    Good Luck..........Mattie

Comment

Working...
                    X