the day of surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the day of surgery

I was wondering what the morning and day of surgery is like? What do you do when you get to the hospitol, what happens right up to the minute you go in the the O.R. and what is like when you first wake up after surgery?
    My name is sierra
    I am 17 years old
    Both my curves are between 55-60 degrees
    I had surgery on March 10th 2006

Post op my curves are 22 on top and 25 on bottom
    I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Hi Sierra...

It can differ greatly depending on the surgeon and hospital. In my case, I had to get to the hospital by 7AM. After checking in, I changed into a hospital gown, and an IV was started. I was given some drugs that relaxed me. A lot of people asked a lot of questions (about allergies, etc.). Eventually, the drugs kicked in, and I didn't remember anything until I woke up after surgery.

If you've met any other patients who had the same surgeon, it would be helpful to ask them about their experience.

Best of luck for a successful surgery and a very quick recovery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Like Linda said, every doctor/patient is different. For Jamie, we had to arrive at 6:00 a.m. We registered where both Jamie and I were given wristbands to wear the entire hospital stay. We were sent to a waiting room, then called into a small room where they took her temperature, pulse and blood pressure. We then went to another waiting room and shortly thereaftere, a group of patients and their families were taken to the prep area where each patient was given their own little area to wait. There Jamie changed into a gown and they tried to start an IV. They couldn't start the IV on the first try so they told us they would start it in the O.R. My mom and I waiting with Jamie through all of this, except when she changed into the gown, of course. The anestesiologist (sp) stopped by and asked if we had any questions and they told us it was time to go. We walked beside Jamie until we reached the doors just outside the O.R. Jamie told me they were great with her in the O.R. Her doctor talked to her, the people in the O.R. talked to her and told her everything that was going on and why. For example, we need to put some oxygen on you, this is just a blood pressure cuff that you will feel getting tight on your arm, etc. That was the last thing she remembered.

As for the waking up part, she did tell me that it hurt a little bit, but I was allowed in the recovery room so early that they didn't even have her morphin pump hooked up yet. She doesn't remember much about the recovery room or the move to her room, but I must say she was awake enough to tell me "your hair is a mess!" And of course she remembers that and tells everyone!

Jamie had a very good experience and hopefully you will too. Feel free to ask the doctors, nurses and everyone at the hospital to explain everything they are going to do to you if you want. If you don't want to know for example, when they start the I.V. tell them that too.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I am covering this exact topic in a few days time in my blog. If you check there, I should have the article finished and written up by the middle of next week. I am now just over 3 weeks post op and doing OK.

Pips
        Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
        Post op 30(T)/33(L)
        http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X