Question about progression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about progression

From the reading I've been doing, it's my understanding that thoracolumbar curves such as mine over 50 degrees (mine is about 60) always progress because after that degree of curvature, the spine loses its compensatory ability and beings to "sink" or collapse, and that's why surgery is usually recommended. Is my understanding correct?
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Hi...

I believe that you are correct, statistically speaking. However, there are always participants who don't fall in the norm.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, do you think it's prudent to monitor progression for a year before scheduling surgery? I know that my curve has progressed, but I have no idea at what rate it's progressing. The last time I had it looked at was 25 years ago when it was 25-30 degrees.

I'm not going to take your response as gospel, I'm just curious about your opinion.
      Chris

Comment

Hi...

I think most doctors would tell you that there is benefit to watching for progression, although I'm thinking that a one year measurement isn't as valid as a 3 or 5 year measurement. If you've had a 25-30 degree progression in 25 years, I think that's probably a decent indicator that progression is occuring. Do you have pain?

You might get some benefit from a quiz on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/ShouldYouHaveSurgery.htm

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda for your quick replies. I knew it was progressing, I just didn't know how fast. My pain is mild to moderate, unless I do something stupid like shovel snow. Then it's severe but only the next morning. I get by quite nicely on modest doses of Advil.

What I really need at this point is a big fat bottle of tranquilizers. LOL

P.S. Thanks for the link too.
          Chris

Comment

Working...
          X