All set to see Dr. Boachie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All set to see Dr. Boachie

I was expecting a few months' waiting time -- but Boachie can see me March 16 !!! My husband's going with me so he can hear for himself how serious my problem really is (he's in a bit of denial). I was up at 4:30 this morning worrying about everything I need to do to get my family ready -- I need a year at least. The hard part for them to understand is that I look and act one hundred percent normal -- my clothes hide my hip deformity and I do everything, including yard work and housework (even though it hurts). I know I need the surgery, but I feel a bit as though I'm being hustled into it.

I keep thinking:what if I have the surgery and something goes wrong when I'm 70 and too old for a revision? Of course, one could argue that I'd be on oxygen by then anyway...but it seems to me that the decision to have or not have surgery is something of a crap shoot. You're forced to take the surgeon's word for it when they say you'll be deformed and breathless - but really, they're just making an educated guess !!!

Oi vay. Thanks for listening.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

hey singer,
    I have had many mornings where I woke up just thinking about back things with a pain in my stomach. I have recently been much better because I have accepted I need this & in the long run it will make me better (you too!) I thought since my surgery is'nt until August, I can't drive myself (&husband) batty over this whole thing for months! The hardest part is making the decision to go ahead ( I had several signs that steered me to Dr. Boachie-& I believe in intuition & signs now!) journal entry - 'decision time' on blog...keep in touch...Lynne http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

ps. my husband was in denial too but they do come around! It just takes a while...
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 02-24-2006, 07:15 AM.

Comment

doctor visit

When I first saw my new x-rays at my first Boachie visit in 2002 I was really shocked--and so was my husband. I didn't realize how bad I was. When I saw my right lung compressed it really got me.

If you take a digital photo of them(your x-rays) up on the viewing box you have a "souvenir" to help in your decisions -you can show it to your in-laws.
      Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Singer,

Has your husband ever seen a xray of your back? The first time my husband ever saw my xrays, he didn't say a word, but he didn't have to either. The look on his face was enough. Of course he knew I had scoli and he saw my rib hump. But until they actually see it for themselves, I don't think they can really relate to it. I too did everything that a normal back could do, but over the last few years the pain got increasingly worse. But you don't complain, you just rest more often.

I was also able to hide my condition with the right kind of clothing. When I finally told the people at work what I was having done and why, they had no clue that I had been hiding my pain and shame.

Don't get hustled into it. It has to be a decision that you alone make!!! Wait and see what the Dr. has to say on the 16th, and if you feel trust, the odds are you won't feel hustled.

Shari

Comment

Hi Shari, Yes, I did show my x-rays to my husband, and his mouth dropped open. He said, "That's YOU?" I think what he's in denial about is just how tough the surgery is, and how long it might take me to recover. My shoulders are only slightly uneven -- since most of my curve is lumbar, it really doesn't show unless you look at my hips, which are wildly uneven with a "jelly roll" of extra fat around my left hip and side of my belly where everything's getting crunched and folded over. (My weight is normal.) I wonder if that will go away ??

I would gladly forgo surgery if the only issue was pain -- I can live with pain and have a very high tolerance for it. And if it weren't for wanting to stick around for my daughter (she's only 10), I might even accept a shortened life. But I do feel that I owe it to her to be as healthy as I can for as long as I can.

Words cannot express how much I would like to avoid this surgery.
          Chris

Comment

singer,
            I can relate to your feelings about surgery. When I went to see Dr. Boachie, I really did'nt even think there was anything that could be done for me. He said he could help me & I pretty much cried through the whole appointment. I was relieved that he could help me, but scared to death when he said 2 operations(I almost fainted) I only remember asking him if I could walk after it . I really did'nt know too much about him or what would be done & what recovery was like. I was so upset for weeks after that appointment, even after I made the decision to get it done. Then I researched everything I could until I was exhausted! My husband & I had a long talk about how we would work it out. Like who would watch the kids & how he could hopefully work from home as much as he could. some kind of a plan helped me deal with it all a bit better.
            shari, like you, I hid my hump as much as I could & even was buying size 16 shirts, bathing suits & I'm normally a 10-12 in shirts. I always covered up my bthing suit anyway with a buttoned down shirt .

Comment

Boachie visit and surgery

Hi Singer. I can totally relate to what you are going through. When I finally went to Dr. Boachie (after sort of shopping around for doctors) they took a whole new set of x-rays. I had been monitoring my curves for a few years, hoping they would not progress. When the new x-rays were put up, one of Dr. Boachie's resident doctors measured the more severe lumbar curve and wrote 65 degrees (as compared to previous x-rays which were about the same). I was relieved until Boachie came in and corrected his resident and then wrote 70 degrees. I just sort of had a pit in my stomach. I was in a lot of discomfort from my back, but thought just maybe it would stop curving. I was pretty upset after my appt and my husband took me shopping, but I already knew I was going to have the surgery. I booked it a week later.

Also, it sounds like you too are in pain and you have to think of quality of life, etc. Before my surgery, even sleeping was becoming problematic at times. I couldn't go clothes shopping without being in agony and constantly having to sit down any where I could.

Now almost 2 years post op, I am virtually pain free. There are times where I get some aching, but certainly not like what I had before the sugery...

Good luck with your visit...a helpful tip is to write a list of questions and concerns you have before your appt. Also the digital camera idea that Karen had is great...I did that too and have my very own before and after photos that I can carry around.

Keep us all posted!
              Heather
              Heather
              Surgery date: April 20, 2004
              Anterior/posterior surgery
              Fused T-11 to L-5
              Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
              Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
              Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
              Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Singer,

Regarding your "jelly roll', I can only tell you that I had lost my waist line on my left side and I had a overlapping thing going on around the rest of my waist line. I'm a small framed person and was in good physical shape.

After my surgery, my torso looks just like it did when I was in my 20's, just with some new battle wounds!

As for wanting to avoid surgery, I don't think there is anyone here that didn't or doesn't have the same feelings!!! Just remember, no matter what you decide, you're not alone!

Shari

Comment

Thanks everyone,

What I really need to do is give this site a rest and do other things until my visit with Dr. Boachie on March 16. I'm getting too crazy. I figure I'm paying him (LOTS of money, as you know!! ) to give me the best recommendation possible -- so I'm going to forget about my back until then.

See you all in March,
                  Chris
                  Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X