Saw the doc -- surgery recommended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw the doc -- surgery recommended

This was not a surprise. Even though my curve is severe (60*), the doc was more concerned about the degree of rotation, and how my left rib cage is tilted in and down on a collision course with my left lung. He thinks I'm just a few degrees away from lung constriction and about 10 years away from major, bent-over deformity.

I think I'm going to try to see Boachie in NYC -- does it take forever to get in to see him? Should I drop anyone's name -- like Karen's?

At any rate, there's no way I could have surgery this year. I have to kick my in-laws out of the house (they live with us; I take care of them) and train my helpless husband and 10-year-old daughter to start functioning around the house. I'll shoot for next year.

Basically, I'm in shock, but I think surgery is a risk I will have to take. I hope I can get some mental peace about it. I'm really quite afraid.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Surgery Recommended

Singer,

Where in your spine is your curve located? Are you at this time experiencing any shortness of breath? I have significant left rib cage rotation with a 75 deg. lumbar curve but no doc has suggested to me that I may be at risk for lung impairment. I was just told that I can expect increasing pain in the future but no internal organ compromise. Makes me wonder. Maybe I need another opinion.

Chris

Comment

For Chris--lungs and scoliosis

Try another opinion.

I had lost lung tissue on x-ray and was rapidly getting out-of-breath too easily/ 80 deg thoracic. My heart also shifted affecting my EKG readings.
      That went back to normal after surgery.
      Also my stomach was pressing on my diaphragm making me more out of breath after a big meal-I felt like I was smothering.
      Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Lungs and Scoliosis

Thanks, Karen. For what it's worth, here's a pic of my spine.
        I don't have any shortness of breath or any squeezing sensation and actually very little discomfort, but I know that can change overnight. I will get another opinion though.

Chris

Comment

Chris -- My curve is lumbar, around T6 to L5 (needs to be fused to sacrum), with some compensatory thoracic curving above, but the thing about me is that I'm very tiny and short (4-11 on a good day) so there's just not a lot of room in my torso for the twisting rib cage.
          Chris

Comment

Hi Singer,
            I'll have surgery this Aug done by Dr. Boachie. I think he's so nice & mind you, I only had one appointment with him & then decided a month later to do it. I did'nt need any second opinions with him... I read everything about him I could find. I sent a donation to FOCUS, his organization to help the people of Ghana(his homeland), Barbados etc. to help people there with scoliosis operations. He has had quite an interesting life!!!

Comment

Hi, Singer. Which doctor did you just see?
              Shelley

Comment

Hi Shelley,

I saw Kingsley Chin, chief of orthopedic surgery (with a specialty in spine surgery) at University of Penn Hospital. He says he does about one scoliosis surgery a month but his manner did not inspire confidence in me. He seemed a bit daunted by my x-rays but thought I should have the surgery "now."

I keep thinking: if you go to see a surgeon, they're going to want to operate; that's what they do. My back just looks like a big dollar sign to them. Maybe I should just go do some yoga for ten years....yeah, that's it.....

TOTAL DENIAL!!! I know it's gonna be bad either way - with surgery or without. But maybe with the surgery the badness will be temporary.
                Chris

Comment

Hi Singer,

The statement about your Dr. not inspirering confidence in you, brings back memories. I had a few where I wanted to get up and run out of the room before they were done talking.

I think it's very important that you find the Dr. that you like and trust. It's a scary thing to consider, and to not have confidence in the person that's going to do the surgery is an unnecessary bourdon.

Just a personal opinion,
                  Shari
                  Last edited by Shari; 02-23-2006, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks Shari. I agree; that's why I'm going to try to get in to see Dr. Boachie. I haven't heard one bad thing about him (except that he doesn't take a lot of insurance). He's a couple of hours away from me but at least I wouldn't have to fly.

Of course my back feels great this morning. I think it's "scared straight"!!!! lol! Must be all that adrenaline pumping through my system.......
                    Chris

Comment

Singer/Shari,

Have either of you done a search on Dr. Boachie on this site? There are a few people who have taken their kids to him for surgery and I never read anything bad about him.

Mary Lou
                      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi Mary Lou, yes, I'm reading all I can about Boachie, including all the searched posts on this site. It's very encouraging. Perhaps surgery won't kill me after all.....

And my cousin in NJ has agreed to come live with us for a month and take care of my daughter and cook....so I feel really relieved about that. Now all we have to do is find some kind of assisted living facility for my elderly in-laws -- a huge task but one I will do WITH PLEASURE !!!
                        Chris

Comment

Mary Lou,

I personally haven't done research on him, but everyone here that has had him as their Dr., seems to really like him. That's good enough for me.

Singer,

No surgery won't kill you, it just hurts a little. I'm glad you're going to try to see him. And having someone to help you out afterwards, is very comforting. Good luck with your in-laws!!!

Shari

Comment

Working...
                          X