Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnancy post surgery

Hi Everyone -

I am still very early in my recovery and know that having children will have to be put on hold for a while. I wanted to hear from anyone who got pregnant after surgery, how long did you wait post surgery to get pregnant, any difficulties with the pregnancy/delivery as a result of the surgery? Just looking for some real life experience.

Thanks,

Carrie

Hi Carrie...

In addition to any responses you get here, you may want to search on the word PREGNANCY or PREGNANT (see Search link above). There have been quite a few discussions on the topic.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Pregnancy post op

Hi Carrie. I had anterior/posterior sugery in April of 2004. My surgeon originally said I needed to wait 18 months post op before trying to get pregnant. However, as I went for my post op visits, he said that at 9 months post op, I was about 90% fused. (This was in Jan of 2005) He said I could probably start trying for a baby that summer. (I am 35 and did not want to wait too much longer) When I went back that July, 2005 I refused x-rays just because I didn't want the radiation. At that point, I was not exactly using protection and didn't want to risk x-rays. As it turns out, I became pregnant technically in August, found out in Sept and am due this coming May.

So far, all is good and I feel fine at 7 months pregnant. My scar (from the anterior incision) is stretching along with the rest of my tummy. I am very small and have not put on a huge amount of weight, which is probably better for my back.

I will have to keep you posted if you want. Did you check with your surgeon's office b/c they might be able to put you in touch with someone who had the surgery and then a baby.

Most surgeons advice waiting at least a year before getting pregnant...

Good luck with your recovery!
      Heather
      Heather
      Surgery date: April 20, 2004
      Anterior/posterior surgery
      Fused T-11 to L-5
      Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
      Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
      Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
      Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi Heather! Thanks for the reply, it sounds like you are doing really well with your recovery and your pregnancy which is promising for me to hear. Please keep me posted, and best wishes to a happy and healthy baby!

Comment

Working...
        X