Milwaulkee Brace parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaulkee Brace parents

We just got back from the drs. today and are struggling with what to do. Our daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis about a year ago. We have visited two different drs. and decided to stick with the one we felt most comfortable with. The first reading of her back was 24 22 12. Then six months ago the curves were 19 17 6. Today they were 29 25 15. We are now looking at a Milwaukee brace and need some imput from those wearing it or who have worn it. Our daughter Olivia is 7 years old and we are concerned about the use of this brace. We also know that this is a young age to be diagnosed. We have another appointment in 6 months and plan on making a descision at that time - If you have any thoughts or experiences positive or negative we would appreciate any feedback.

I wore a milwaukee for 7 years (24hrs daily for 4 of those yrs) in the 1970s. It remarkably corrected and stopped progression of a significant lumbar curve. My sister also wore one! It's unfortunate, though, that I was told 6 mos. (I'm 50 now) ago that my curvature has progressed over the years to potentially warrant surgery in the future years. I've never had any problems with my back otherwise and was shocked at the news! If I do have surgery anytime in the future, I'm thankful that the brace bought me alot of time and therefore great advances in surgery technology!!!

Comment

Do you remember what your curve started at and what it was at the end of bracing? We are trying the Spinecor brace now, The TLSO did not work. How many years were you followed post bracing?
      One of the reasons we are using Spinecor is that correction acheived during bracing is relatively stable post bracing. I would love more information on post bracing results in other braces. The literature that I have seen suggests that curves return to prebracing numberswith the Milwaukee and TLSO.
      The Milwaukee may be the next step for my daughter, if the Spinecor is ineffective in controlling her curve.
      Thanks
      Last edited by cherylplinder; 02-27-2006, 05:27 PM.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Hi Olivia's Parents,

I wore a Milwaukee brace 23hrs/day for several years in the 70's. I'm sure it was helpful in holding my curves, but unfortunatley in 2003 at the age of 42 my curve progressed and I had to have surgery. Everyone is different.

Best Wishes for sucessful bracing.

Kindest Regards,
        Gail

Comment

Hi. I also wore the Milwaukee Brace in the 70's from about 14-16 yrs old. My mom took good notes back then & recorded my curves at 30/37 in brace & 40/47 out. I am now 46 & curves are 60/60. My parents did not want an operation for me at that time since I looked great & had no problems. I think the brace did help at that time period. I'm 46 now & will have surgery this August. I have no regrets about my parents decision. I have had an active life! Lynne
          ps. I played tennis (on the boys tennis team) with my brace & also remember cracking the brace a bit on doing a hurdle-so I was quite active in it!!!
          Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 02-27-2006, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I have had various braces over the years, i am 15, my first brace was when I was 8, I will be more than glad to give you information and my parents are too .

you can contact me at Babii_L@hotmail.com

Originally posted by Olivias_Parents
            We just got back from the drs. today and are struggling with what to do. Our daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis about a year ago. We have visited two different drs. and decided to stick with the one we felt most comfortable with. The first reading of her back was 24 22 12. Then six months ago the curves were 19 17 6. Today they were 29 25 15. We are now looking at a Milwaukee brace and need some imput from those wearing it or who have worn it. Our daughter Olivia is 7 years old and we are concerned about the use of this brace. We also know that this is a young age to be diagnosed. We have another appointment in 6 months and plan on making a descision at that time - If you have any thoughts or experiences positive or negative we would appreciate any feedback.

Comment

Hello to all.

We are going to see our Dr. in Erie in May (3 mo. instead of 6 mo) and then have an appointment scheduled with Dr. d'Andrea in Philadelphia June 14th. Again we would like to thank all of you for your help in the direction to turn. We feel very confident that with support of all of you and our faith, that we can make it through what ever God has planned for Olivia. We will definately keep all of you in our prayers and we will watch for good news from you. We have done more reseach in the last week than we have done since our college days. The best thing we can do is go with what both the doctors and we feel will get the best results. I know that sounds kind of cliche-ish (sp) but we truly have faith that is the path we need to follow. That and the advise of good people like YOU!. Thanks again for all of your thoughts and advice.

Chris/Laura

Comment

Hi, I'm 30 now and I wore a Milwaukee from the age of 2 until I was 10, with plaster body casts in the winter months. I was diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis when I was 6 months old with an initial curve of 62 degrees (thoracic) and 40 degrees (lumbar) and the Milwaukees helped to hold those potentially very serious curves without any significant deterioration until I had surgery when I was 10, so I have a lot of faith in their effectiveness My parents were very strict about me wearing it 23 hours a day, which I think is very important. Milwaukees aren't the nicest brace to wear but they are better for young children than TLSOs in that the ribcage isn't as restricted, and kids are very adaptable! Please try not to worry....and good luck to you and Olivia

Toni xx

Comment

To Olivia's Parents (Chris and Laura),

Our next appt. is also on June 14th with Dr. D'Andrea!! We are scheduled for around 9:45 I think. What time is your appt.?

Best regards,
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Milwaukee??? no way

If your daughter is only 7, this might be a bit traumetizing. The milwaukee has a neck brace, doesn't it?

May be you could try the spinecor brace first, since that would be easier for her to get around in-you know-be active during her childhood. i hope I'm not too late.

HI
                    Im 15
                    im pretty outgoing
                    JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
                    in the 30s.
                    somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

I was just wondering how Olivia's appt. last month with Dr. D'Andrea went?
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

The fact that you are giving 3 curve values suggests that there is an upper curve. This is the indication for the Milwaukee brace. The Spinecore or a TLSO brace will not work as they only address the lower curves. If at the time of the next exam, the doctor feels it necessary for your daughter to be in a Milwaukee brace, you may want a second opinion. The thing to remember here is that the brace will probably NOT correct the curve, but will stop, or at least slow it's progression. This is valuable as it will reduce the chances of her needing surgery before she has finished growing. yes there is a good chance that she will need surgery given that she has juvenile scoliosis.

Comment

I know I'm kinda late, but I wore a Milwaukee from when I was 8 until I was 15 and I survived! lol I wore it through elementary and junior high school just fine, even with a visible neck ring. Kids were curious- not mean. They just wanted to know what it was, so they asked and I answered! I know it seems like a long haul, but it really helped me!!! It brought my thoracic waaay down, and if I do have surgery, it will only have to be on my lumbar thanks to the Milwaukee! Hang in there, and remember that once she's used to it, wearing the brace is a piece of cake!!!!
                          Scoliosis for 8 years, Milwaukee, Providence & Boston braces. 35T 42L Dx'd with Chiari Malformation 8/06, decompression surgery + duraplasty 11/24/06.

Comment

I wore one

I am 35 now and wore the Milwalke Brace from 4th grade until 8th grade. Unfortunately, my spine continued to curve and I had a spinal fusion surgery in 1989 using the Harrington Rods. I had been pain free until this year and am now having some severe pain. I think I will have to have a revision surgery. Any questions about the Milwalkee Brace.... feel free to PM me.
                            Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

Working...
                            X