Sutures sticking out of scar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sutures sticking out of scar??

So... for a few weeks now the top of my scar has felt scabbed, or scratchy. I have put ointment on it, to no avail. It just hasn't felt like it is healing at all. My husband always said it was just dry skin. I though maybe the tags on my shirt were irritating the area. Well, tonight I couldn't help myself and I picked at it a little. It turns out that it is exposed stitches. (After picking, I ended up with what looked like clear fishing line in my fingers.) Upon closer inspection, my husband has confirmed that indeed I do have some sutures poking out the top of my scar.

He wants to pull them out with tweezers. He claims sometimes as your skin heals, it pushes out the sutures. I am worried if we try to pull them out, that it will sort of unravel, damage the sutures that are still underneath my skin, or pull more sutures to my skin's surface. I thought that it was something that would just work itself out on its own, but I have felt the sutures back there for weeks, so it doesn't really seem to doing anything on its own.

Is this normal?? Should my husband pull them out? Will this cause more scarring, and I should just leave them be? Is it something I should call my Dr. about? I am at a loss on this one.

Thanks!
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Hi Meg...

The same thing happened to me. I just waited for the scars to be expelled on their own. I doubt it would hurt to give them a gentle tug, but I wouldn't pull too hard.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Meg,

I also had sutures pop out. My husband just loved pulling them out. He also gets a kick out of popping zits, so he was always looking for one.

As soon as he removed it, that spot would heal right up. And it never affected my scaring.

Shari

Comment

My husband tried too get it out but soome still stuck out. Luckily my recheck with the doctor was due and when we went to the doctor he got the rest of it out.

Comment

Working...
        X