Experience with chiroprators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with chiroprators?

Hey there. I am looking at the need for surgery, but want to wait until I am done with graduate school (another year and a half). In the meantime, I would like to find something to alleviate my constant pain without swallowing a bottle of ibuprofen per day. Has anyone had any experience with a chiropractor? There is one in chicago who uses a bracing system that is flexible and is worn under the clothing. As expected, the brace cannot correct my 'major' double curve, but is said to reduce the pain and possibly halt the progression of the curve. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks much everyone!
    Best,
    Robyn
    Last edited by thatrobyn; 02-13-2006, 11:12 AM.

Hi Robyn...

I suspect that the brace is fairly expensive. You might try going to a hospital supply store and trying one of their many types of lumbar braces. I wear one when I'm going to be on my feet for more than an hour, and it does seem to help.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Very good point about the cost. Is your brace flexible? This one is really wacky looking - I saw it online - looks like a series of straps you wear under your clothing.

Thanks Linda!
      R

Comment

Chiropractors & wacky brace

I'd imagine the brace you are talking about is the Spinecor. It is a series of flexible straps. There is another thread on this forum that is quite long and details various experiences, most of them with younger kids. My daughter is 15 1/2 and started wearing one last October. She also goes to a chiropractor and he has a couple of older patients wearing the Spinecor - one to alleviate pain. There are a couple of more looking into it. One patient in her 30's has been wearing it about 3-4 months and gotten rid of her migraine headaches and also taken 13 degrees off of a very large curve (around 75 degrees). The brace costs about $3500.

I've talked to some of his older patients (60's and 70's) who come in to get treated for the pain caused by their scoliosis and they say that chriopractic has been successful in relieving their pain. We live in So. CA or I would recommend our doctor. It's important to find a reputable chiro - if they claim they can "cure" scoliosis they're probably not the one you want.

Comment

I agree, it sounds like the Spinecore brace.

My brace is flexible, made of neoprene. I would definitely try one of the inexpensive braces before investing so much. One way or the other, I'd encourage you to wear the brace only when it's really necessary, as you'll want to avoid atrophy in your abdominal muscles.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

you are both right. it is the spinecor. interesting - i never thought about the abdominal muscle issue. linda - i teach yoga - would i be able to wear the neoprene brace while teaching? is it flexible enough? or would i wear it for support before and afterwards?
            thanks much!
            robyn

Comment

Hi Robyn...

If you're having pain while you're teaching yoga, you probably shouldn't be doing it. These support braces are really meant to be worn only occasionally to help you stay mobile.

Regards,
              Linda

Comment

Yeah, no pain during yoga. Usually afterwards...when my back is very loose. I tend to feel it's 'delicate' and would like to support it. OR other times, it's when I am out on my feet all day, running errands, that sort of thing. That's when I get home and cannot wait to lie down on the floor. I was thinking I'd wear it at those times.

Best,
                R

Comment

Yes, the Spinecor is expensive and you may not want to put that kind of money into something for only a year and a half but it is designed so that your muscles do not atrophy so you could wear it as much as you want - even teaching yoga. Kids are wearing them to do gymnastics, dance, etc. - my daughter wears hers running and for soccer practice and when she does Pilates.

Comment

Originally posted by thatrobyn
                    Yeah, no pain during yoga. Usually afterwards...when my back is very loose. I tend to feel it's 'delicate' and would like to support it. OR other times, it's when I am out on my feet all day, running errands, that sort of thing. That's when I get home and cannot wait to lie down on the floor. I was thinking I'd wear it at those times.
                    Ooh, I know that feeling well!
                    I'm all for physcial therapy instead, as you'll be feeling that way due to the weakness of certain muscles, and a brace is going to anything but help them get stronger. But I'm probably biased!
                    I have had the same feeling in my neck and shoulders for about a decade and a half - that 'delicate' feeling and wanting to support things basically involved me wanting to lie down and support my head, which is not terribly practical in the middle of the day! A mix of Pilates and swimming has been strengthening everything up - it's a glorious feeling discovering that you have strength in muscles that couldn't support you previously!
                    Regardless, hope you have some luck with things no matter which route you decide to take!

Ta,
                    Martin Hughes

Comment

Chiropractors

I've found many chiropractors to be "quacky," but there are good ones out there who can help treat back pain, especially if you have a pinched nerve. Talk to people you know, or professionals you trust. Massage therapists usually know who's competent and who's just out for your cash.

Just remember, screen your potential chiropractor carefully. If he/she claims they can "cure" your scoliosis, they are lying. But the treatments do seem to help, even if only temporarily, so occasional visits may be warranted.
                      28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Working...
                      X