No announcement yet.

anterior/posterior surgery question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anterior/posterior surgery question...

Does anyone know why some Dr.'s do post/ant operations one after other(same day) & some do one & week later the other??? probably a question for a Dr.?? Mine will do one after the other (thk god!)
    another question--if your bottom curve is worse & is corrected, can the top straighten out by itself over time???

blog--- http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com
    the learning curves surgery this August 1
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 02-13-2006, 05:38 AM.

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
    Does anyone know why some Dr.'s do post/ant operations one after other(same day) & some do one & week later the other??? probably a question for a Dr.?? Mine will do one after the other (thk god!)
    It's usually based on how the surgeon has been trained.

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
    another question--if your bottom curve is worse & is corrected, can the top straighten out by itself over time???
    Yes, sometimes.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi lelc2002,

My experience with the 6 days in between surgeries, may have had to do with not only the procedures, but also the time involved with each one.

My first surgery lasted 5 1/2 hours, my second lasted 9 1/2 hours.

Shari

Comment

Mine was done in 3 separate surgeries, 3 days between each... The first was anterior thoracic done endoscopically, the second was anterior lumbar, and the third was posterior thoracic and lumbar together.... I had 2 different surgeons assisting for each part... the first was an expert with the endoscopic portion, the second was a good abdominal surgeon, the third was my spine surgeon alone... Also, as Shari said, the time involved can be too much for one anesthesia 'episode' (for lack of a better word...lol... i'm not a medical person!!) Linda is right too, it goes back to the surgeons' training, i think. Most of course would rather be safe than risking too much at once.

Comment

Mine was done in 2 days, 4 days apart. The first day was 15 hours for the Anterior portion, removing the disc, and the posterior portion. On Monday it was to finish up the posterior surgery and then the anterior lumbar which took 7 hours. My doctor said it is just each doctors preference how they do it.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

thks everyone.....my Surgeon will do ant/pos togetherr(same day) I'm a bit worried about the length of these surgeries because my curves are so bad. I get nervous about going under for a day's period & /or night?? I know I'll be out but 12-14 hrs sounds long which I bet I'll be. all guessing at this point, but that is one of my questions for the surgeon. I also know from my research, that hospital spec. surg is on the 'cutting' edge (sorry for the play on words_)

Comment

Hi...

My two surgeries were performed on the same day; about 12 hours total time. The bad news is that it was tough on me, and tough on the surgeon. The good news is that I was out of the hospital about a week before I would have been if the surgeries were staged.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Philomena 52 yrs old female

Linda,

Thank you for your post, I am hoping to respond to your post by sending this message. I've been anticipating the surgery date and am in fear. I know I have to. Just wanted to get more information on what to expect in the post opt after returning home from having 2 rods inserted on each side of my Lumbar spine with 12 nuts & bolts from L1 thru L5. Also being in a brace.

Thank you for any response you can give me.

Sincerely,
                Philomena
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS]xxx/FONT][SIZE-3]xx[SIZE]xxx

Comment

Hi Philomeana,

Your fear is perfectly normal. Scoliosis surgery is pretty scary. The good news for you is that your fusion will be relatively short compared to many of us, and that really seems to be one of the factors in how fast each of us gets back to normal.

You may want to get the names and phone numbers for a few of your surgeon's patients who are of similar age to you, and who had similar procedures. They're the ones who will be able to give you the best idea of what to expect in terms of recovery.

Regards,
                  Linda

Comment

Working...
                  X