Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shy after surgery

Questions Regarding After-Surgery

I am a VERY SHY person and I was just wondering if there is anything that is how you say "personal". Like do you use a bed pan. And when/if I need a bath my mom, NOT the nurse, but then my mom can give me a bath?
    Surgery: June 4th, 2004
    Main curve: 44 degrees
    Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
    Surgery Type: Posterior
    T4-T12

dont be shy

hi i am sarah and i am twelve years old and i am going to have surgery march 2 2004 and i wouldnt be shy because if you are going to have surgery it is not your fault that you have to have it and the doctor will probably tell you NOT to take a shower until u are healed anyway because if you get up too soon you may need another surgery from damaging the healing process in your back. thats what my doctor said to me anyway. and plus it would definetly hurt if you even tried to get up and take a shower or bath. if you have other ?s you could write to me. my forum name is sarloo (sarah)
    sarah

Comment

Jill K,
      After my surgery, we installed a shower head attachment that has a hose, so that you can hold and control the head. What I did was, I (actually sat on a cooler) which we sat in the bath tub, and then my mom gave me my showers. I was very sore, and couldn't raise my arms very high, so she washed my hair, even shaved under my arms! etc. If you have a shower seat/chair, or something like a cooler even, just sit on something in the bath tub, and have your mom help give you showers. I don't think you're really even supposed to take BATHS right away, mostly just try to shower. I took a shower every other day, the first couple of weeks I was home, and if your mom is like my mom, they are truthfully just going through as much mental pain as we are physical pain, just having to see their children go through this spinal fusion. It's a tough experience, but it makes you tough, so don't be afraid of something like your mom helping you shower, because LOOK WHAT WE'VE BEEN THROUGH! WE NEED HELP PHYSICALLY...I know I wouldn't have been able to walk up/down steps, take showers, or even roll over in my bed without someone there. With the bed pan issue, once you're home from surgery, you should be able to walk to the bathroom--just have someone there to walk with you, wait on you, in case you trip or fall along the way. With the surgery we've been through, we deserve having our family/friends help us, and we shouldn't be shy of something like a shower. If you've made it emotionally through something as big as a spinal fusion, don't sweat the smaller things as much. THEY MAKE US STRONGER! Hope I helped!
      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

While you're in the hospital...

Okay, my post right up above is regarded more towards someone after surgery, once they're home, and what to expect. I now realize what you meant "after surgery" was while you're still in the hospital.
        What you'll have (instead of a bed pan) is a cathader tube in you (that your urine will run through, and deposit into a "bag" under/beside your bed that the nurses will take care of). You'll pee involuntarily, and sometimes it will feel like you're not peeing/haven't and need to. But don't worry. You do pee, and your nurses will take care of it. They'll put that in you while they put you to sleep before surgery, and around the time they put all of the other tubes, etc. in you. The cathader is uncomfortable while you're laying in bed, and in the hospital, etc. but you'll get used to it, and they'll of course take it out later and you'll be fine. As far as showering goes, it wasn't until towards the end of my hospital stay that I actually was able to get up and "wanting" to take a shower. I think everyone has some lack of motivation in getting out of the hospital bed, especially when you're so sore after surgery. My mom gave me a couple showers in the hospital before I went home, and there will be a chair in the shower in your room you'll sit on, and whoever gives you your shower (if you want your mom to) will wash your hair for you, etc. Your mobility will be limited for a while.
        As I said before, realize after surgery exactly what you've been through, and don't be shy about things like a bed pan. Anyone going through a big surgery like a spinal fusion all have to experience the same "hospital issues." DO NOT WORRY! You'll make it! Just hang tough, and GOOD LUCK!

Comment

thanks for all of the great information, both at home and in the hospital. There is just one more question about the cathader, when they take it out does it hurt? I told my mom about the cooler in the shower at home and she said it was a good idea. So it is possible to have my mom clean me and not the nurses.?. What did you do at the hospital when you were recovering (i.e. did you watch tv.....) and how much pain do u feel on a scale of 1-10, 10 being very painful, 1 being not painful. Thanks again for all of your reassuring help.
          Surgery: June 4th, 2004
          Main curve: 44 degrees
          Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
          Surgery Type: Posterior
          T4-T12

Comment

Hi,
            Yes, your mom will be able to give you your shower in the hospital if you don't want the nurses to, even though they're really pretty great and comforting towards their patients...
            I have a very HIGH pain tolerance, so I didn't feel as sore sometimes, whereas most other patients would say they did. Some kids scream out in pain, some just take it all in. In my opinion, the more postitive outlook you keep, the less pain you pay attention to...just stay as strong as you can! There will be days you wonder "Why Me?" and there will be days when you wonder if you'll ever get through it and over it. And you will! I have been there, thought that, and I feel the more positive perspective I kept, the quicker I pulled through!
            If you want to know more in detail about my actual hospital stays, just ask me or private message me...I'll be happy to answer you!
            Talk to you later sweetie.

Comment

showers in the hospital

I wasn't allowed to take a shower! I was SMELLY after 5 days. One day the nurse wiped down my arms and legs, but it was a pretty lame spongebath.

As for the shower, I recommend a lawn chair in the shower. No baths! Lowering yourself into a low sitting position and getting back up is painful. I even had a special raised seat put on the toilet for the first week. My mom kept a towel over me in the shower so I didn't feel so "naked". I was 22, and NOT happy about having ANYONE see me naked. SHe washed my hair, shaved my legs, etc. It all worked out fine.

And the catheter is not painful. And when they remove it, it is fast, and doesn't hurt. It just feels wierd.

I slept most of the time in the hospital. The morphine makes you sleep. I couldnt read, as turning pages was too painful. Watching TV and sleeping is all I did. It will all be over before you know it thoug, then you can come online and give other people advice on how you got through it and are doing great.
              Rachel

Comment

Hey Rachel. I saw that you are 22 (or were at the time of surgery) and wanted to reply to you because we are close in age...that's hard to find in here. Anyway, I'm 23 and am set to have surgery March 19. I'm sort of nervous, but more anxious and worried about school work. Were you in college too? I'm trying to get all my work ahead of time, then am taking a month or so off for surgery, and then I'll try to get back in time for finals.
                Also, how long did it take for you to feel well enough to go out with friends. About last week it hit me that I won't be able to go out for a long time, which sort of depressed me in a way. I know it's not really a big deal, but I work really hard so I like to have fun.
                I exercise regularly and have been running almost everyday, and I was hoping that me being in good physical shape would help the healing time. How about you? What are your experiences? Thanks!

P.S. What was your curvature? Mine is 55 on top and 44 on bottom. How much taller did you get? This is one of the coolest parts !
                Last edited by Jess; 03-03-2004, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Jill,

I can totally understand what you mean about being shy! I am fairly shy when it comes to that kind of stuff.. but let me tell ya, after I had surgery I could NOT have cared LESS who was doing or seeing what. I got my period early so I had it during the surgery (gross, but true) and the nurses had to take care of that for me because I couldn't do it myself. The nurses take such good care of you and they see that kind of thing all the time. I took ONE shower about a week after I had the surgery and I just sat naked on a stool while the nurse washed my hair and everything. My mum helped me in the shower at home... but I needed help with going to the washroom, and changing. Let the people around you help you until you're able to do it on your own. It's humbling... but all in all a good experience to take in.

You might just come out of everything a little more outgoing.

Godbless,
                  lisanicole
                  lisanicolegrace
                  29/F/Canada
                  Surgery - 11/10/2000
                  80° curve to 19° post op.
                  www.lisanicolegrace.com
                  @lisanicolegrace
                  facebook
                  x-rays
                  picture of my back

Comment

modesty

I am 21 and had my surgery about 2 years ago. I was also not very happy about the whole nurses bathing me, catheder, etc. before my surgery. I didn't even really want my mom helping me that much. Once I had the surgery, though, and I was in the hospital, those concerns really went away for the most part. For one thing, I was on so many medications, I was out of it. Plus, I just wanted to be comfortable and taken care of. I didn't want to have to do things for myself. The catheder was painful for me when they took it out. It isn't very fun but it is a lot better than trying to get up all the time to go to the bathroom. I got about three sponge baths from the nurses. I loved them! It made me feel a lot more relaxed and clean. When I had to take a shower on my own, I was not happy! It was really hard to even undress and everything. It just wasn't worth it. Once I was home, I had a seat in my shower and the special shower head like others have mentioned. This helped a lot. It is important to remember to just take it easy when in the shower. A lot of times I would try to do too much, and I would get really weak and tired. A few times I almost passed out! That's why it is good to have your mom or someone there helping you out! Also, it is hard to get down and up off the toilet, so even though it is a little embarrassing, it is in your best interest to have someone help you then too. Hope this helps. It is just some of my experience and opinions about my surgery! Good luck and hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                    X