Collapse of spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapse of spine

I'm not panicking as I had surgery a few yrs ago and it was a success. However I seem to remember once prior to surgery one of the doctors mentioning to be the possibility of the spine collapsing with scoliosis. I don't know if this was ever a possibility in my case or whether this was something that might sometimes happen. However I can't find anything on the net about spinal collapse due to scoliosis. This makes me think I imagined the doctors comments. Does anyone know if a spinal collapse can occur with scoliosis?

Hi...

I've heard that term used as well, so you weren't imaging it. However, I've never known what that actually means, and never known anyone to whom that happened.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I'm not sure there is a written-in-stone definintion of collapsing spines, but, my son was born with congenital malformations of the spine. As he grew and was developing, gravity was collapsing his spine because of the malformations causing curves in the spine. He had a/p fusion surgery at 11 months old. The ortho came out of surgery and told us his "entire spine was weak and that future fusions farther up and down the spine were likely". Frightening to hear about your infant. However, he has done very well and is thriving because of the VEPTR procedure allowing his body to grow while being supported by the adjustable rods/devices. Collapsing spine isn't in our immediate future, knock on wood.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

My guess is that it means when the curvature causes the spine to loose the vertical height..

or..

It could mean the vertebrael body becomes compressed..
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

My Operative Report states:

Preoperative Diagnosis: Collapsing Idiopathic and Degenerative Thoracolumbar scoliosis.

Postoperative
          Diagnosis: Same thing.

Interesting..both say the same...leads me to believe collapsing just means not straight. I welcome any thoughts.

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Collapsing spine

They write the same pre-op diagnosis as post-op for insurance purposes.
            The only time they write something different is when, during surgery, they find something new that may not have been expected - and that is listed in addition to the indications for surgery. I know this for sure because I work in an OR.

My husband's doctor still writes "prostate cancer" on his blood tests even though he was cured of it 12 years ago when he gets the psa test.

Karen
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

One thing that was explained to me, and helped influence my decision to have surgery:

I was told that as my curve progressed, and my bones weakened, that my spine would eventually collapse onto itself. (As in little tiny fractures as the curve compressed and tilted over more and more.) THen, this collapse is what could lead to serious heart and lung problems, as the spine collapsed around internal organs. I guess the collapsing is similar to curve progression.
              Meg is Spinewhine
              31 years old with thoracic curve
              Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
              Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
              http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X