Bone grafting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone grafting

I'm wondering what everyone's experience with the bone grafting has been. I guess between my 2 lower right ribs and my hips that "plenty of bone to work with". I've heard that its very painful. Anyway I've been reading to much about this today and I think its giving me more anxiety. I like to live in la la land. Alissa

Hi Peachtree,

I used everything from the donor bank...someone else's blood and bone.

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

Hi Alissa,

I had a rib and some hip bone removed. They also added cadaver bone with mine. At first I couldn't have told you which pain was worse. The rib, the hip or the back . Now I have no pain from my hip or rib. Everyone told me the hip would be the worst, so as usual, you can't go by what other people say or have experienced. It's the end result that counts.

I also read this forum for months, every day, and it can add to your fright.
      But it's nice to know others care and can relate.

Lala Land isn't bad either,
      Shari
      Last edited by Shari; 02-13-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I had bone from my ribs used because my doctor did a thorocoplasty. there are risks with that because they are very close to your lungs. i actually had a build up of fluid around my lung, part of my right lung collapsed, and i got pneumonia less than a week after i got out of the hospital. they didnt take anything from my hip so i cant share that experience. for my second surgery they used bone bank bone and it was great. i am healing really well and just started working out 7.5 weeks post op.
        mandy

Comment

bone graft.

I had the bone graft taken from the top of my pelvis many years ago.I didn't think it was painful really, more of a strange hypersensitive sensation when pressure was appiled to the area.there may also be some numb feeling for a while which isn't unusual but no severe pain in the vast majority of cases.try not to worry, it'll be good quality bone and best of luck for a successful surgery and solid fusion.
          Sins
          Co founder Scoliosis Support Association Ireland.

Comment

Bone grafting

I had bone removed from my left rib. Before my surgery I had a bone density test done and they found osteopaenia (beginnings of osteoporosis) in my hip, so they used my rib bone combined with cadaver bone. My ribs still feel a bit numb and sometimes sore, almost 2 years post op. It's just mostly numb and sometimes I get itches that I cannot stratch.
            Heather
            Surgery date: April 20, 2004
            Anterior/posterior surgery
            Fused T-11 to L-5
            Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
            Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
            Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
            Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

Hi, when my son had posterior spinal fusion on 12/19/05, the surgeon used bone chipped directly from my son's spine. This saved having another incision and pain from hip graft. I don't know if this procedure would work as well with adults. Perhaps something to ask your surgeon?

Renee

Comment

Working...
              X