Post-Op pops/cracks/clicks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-Op pops/cracks/clicks??

Howdy - I am now 8 weeks post-op and have a question. As I become more mobile, I have been noticing that my back makes little noises (in area that was fused). Before the surgery I could pop and crack my back like nobody's business. Now, post-op, I sometimes still hear (and feel) little pops and cracks. I am wondering if this is normal? Or, is it me messing with the fusion-process, in a bad way? I am wondering if maybe, although I feel great, and am able to do so much, if this is actually doing more harm than good by putting too much pressure on my healing back, so much so that it is unnaturally making these slight noises. BTW - I am still following my restrictions, no bending, no twisting, no lifting more than 10 pounds...

Any suggestions? Is this a normal part of healing, or something I should be concerned about, or worth calling my surgeon??

Thanks!
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Hi Meg...

I've heard a few others describe these noises after surgery, but I've never been able to follow up to see if it actually turned out to mean anything. Be sure to mention this to your surgeon. If you're intentionally moving your spine, I would guess that probably isn't wise at this point.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hey Meg!

I'm glad you brought this issue up. I've noticed the same thing over the last week or 2 with my back. It's typically when I get up from sitting that I'll feel/hear a little pop in my back. It doesn't hurt when it happens but I was concerned too that I was doing something wrong.

Like you I am not twisting, bending or lifting and have been very cautious when getting out of a chair, etc.

Maybe someone will know something about this. If not I'll be seeing my surgeon in a few weeks and will talk to him about it then.

Hope you are doing well!
      Shelly
      Shelly
      Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

I had this happen to me after surgery and still get it ocasionally. When I asked my doctor about it, he said that it was completely normal. Everything is just 'settling' into place. Nothing to worry about. Hope this helps you out!
        25 yr old female =^_^=
        Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
        Lumbar curve 23 degrees
        surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
        Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Hi SpineWhine,

I know exactly what you are talking about. 1 yr 8 months after my surgery I started hearing this popping sound. I sit most of the day leaning forward in my chair to look at colors in a light box. When I would leave work and get in my car, my back would pop everytime I hit the smallest bump in the road. Scared me to death...couldn't help but think it was movement in my rods and possibly a breakage. It lasted for about a month and a half and then it stopped. I had x-rays 2 months afterwards and my surgeon said everything looked good...but since I know you can't see most nonfusions...I still wonder if something happened during that time. I guess time will tell. If you find out anything please let us know. I still wonder why this happened 20 months post-op. I think we all live a little in fear that we will have to go through surgery again...and if you are like me...I don't want any refresher courses!

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Hey, three months out & I have been hearing small pops, too. Not too many, but I was wondering, also, about it. Glad to hear that I'm not alone . Linda

Comment

Me too!!! Whewww....so glad others do too!,,,Mine is usually at night when i'm straightening out in bed and i feel/ hear them in my lower back.

Comment

I'm one year post-op and have the occassional popping sounds and feelings as well, they started shortly after my surgery. It used to happen when I would move or roll over in bed, stand up and get in and out of the car. Now, it happens mostly after I stand up from sitting for a long while at work. My surgeon also said that it was nothing to worry about...you should check with your surgeon at your next follow-up just to give yourself peace of mind. Remember that along with your spine, your muscles are also reforming and moving into place...this could attribute to some of the pops.

Comment

how loud is the popping sound?? can the person by u hear it?

Comment

Ok, so I called the Dr. and was put through to one of his nursing staff. She then relayed my message to my surgeon. She then called me back, and left a message saying they wanted to move up my 3 month post op appt a few weeks. Great. So now I go 3/1 instead of 3/8. I wonder if I should call and press them for an even earlier date? (He is only there on Wednesdays.) The appt. maker seemed to have no understanding of what the issue was or why I was moving my appt., or even that I was moving an appt. date.
                    Meg is Spinewhine
                    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

Andy ... I dont think mine are audible to anyone else... and i'm not sure if its more 'hearing' them or 'feeling' them, if you know what i mean? Like when you have a tightness in your shoulder or somewhere and you move a certain way and feel it pop into a better position? That's what happens sometimes in my lower back.

Comment

Hey Meg, I did ask my doctor about it a couple of visits ago. He said sometimes it can mean that something with the hardware is not quite right or it could also be from scar tissue. In my case he had already gone back in a year after my original surgery to do an osteotomy so he knew everything was okay. I had also just had a CT scan done as well. He said not to worry about it.
                        Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                        Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                        Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                        Fused T2 to sacrum
                        June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                        MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hi Meg...

Even if something has gone wrong with your implants (and I don't think that's the case), it would not be an emergency, so I think you're OK waiting for a few weeks for your appointment. I know, however, how stressful the wait can be. Just so you know, it's the rare one of us who doesn't think that something went wrong with our implants at some point in the first year. :-)

Regards,
                          Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks everyone, I do feel a little better knowing I could be within the realm of normal, although admittedly still worried. (Can't help it!) I do find myself worrying... especially when I drive. I used to love zipping along the freeway, and now I am soooooo cautious.

Andy - I agree with Joann, the pop sound is low, and unless it was quiet and another person was really listening, I don't think they would hear it. I think it is the small sound, combined with how it feels that gets me. It feels louder than it is.
                            Meg is Spinewhine

The nitty gritty at:

Comment

Originally posted by SpineWhine
                              Thanks everyone, I do feel a little better knowing I could be within the realm of normal, although admittedly still worried. (Can't help it!) I do find myself worrying... especially when I drive. I used to love zipping along the freeway, and now I am soooooo cautious.

Andy - I agree with Joann, the pop sound is low, and unless it was quiet and another person was really listening, I don't think they would hear it. I think it is the small sound, combined with how it feels that gets me. It feels louder than it is.
                              mine are pretty audible, but those are the ones that kinda hurt if I do something the wrong way, or over exhert myself, other than that, they are rather quiet. I'm terrified of driving up here in the maryland/dc area. Traffic accidents are everwhere! I'm so cautious and scared of getting in an accident had have my back snap in half. I used to have dreams about one of the rods breaking and poking out my skin. Just me being a worriwort I suppose. heh. sorry if I may have scared you. :/
                              25 yr old female =^_^=
                              Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
                              Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                              surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
                              Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Working...
                              X