Surgery on the horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on the horizon

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to this whole thing. Not just back surgery but this chat room thingy. (I assume this is a chat room, but really am not sure Just got my second opinion and I'm headed to Boston for surgery. I'm waiting for my surgery date. Kind of nervous about the comute home. Three hours in the car doesn't sound like fun. I had a question regarding the size of the rod. They said from T2-L3. Any ideas where that's located. A web site with pictures would be great!! Anyway just going through the initial shock and trying to put this all together. It was nice running into this though. It's easy to feel isolated and knowing there are others at the tips of my fingers walking the same road is encouraging.

Hi there and welcome! I have pics on my bog of my rods - which are from T4 to T-12. Yours would be two vertabrae more on top, and three vertabrae more on the bottom than mine are. T stands for thoracic, which is the most of the middle of your back (rib cage area) and L stands for lumbar, which is your lower back. Each vertabrae is numbered, starting from the top, so T-1 is your first thoracic vertabra, T-2 your second, etc. Hope that helps!
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Peachtree

This is really good picture which shows what Meg was saying. Just click on the link and it will show where all thoses T's and L's are!

http://www.sisonline.org/pages/spine.html

I am off to hospital tomorrow for surgery Wednesday and will be fused T3-L5 so as soon as I can I will put a photo up on my blog for you to see (gotta get it done first!).

Good luck in finding out info - this site should be a real help. BTW, this is a forum rather than a chat room as we are not all on line at the same time - we just leave messages here for one another.
      Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
      Post op 30(T)/33(L)
      http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wow!!

Thanks guys for your replies. It's amazing to look at the before and after pictures. I'm in awe and kind of excited about having a mid section! I will be praying for your surgery tomorrow.

Comment

Pips,

I will be praying for you. God bless you and may you have a sucessful surgery and a quick recovery!

Kindest Regards,
          Gail

Comment

Peachtree, I sent you a PM. Linda

Comment

Hi Peachtree,

Regarding your ride home. I had my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, which is a 3 hour drive from my home. I had a pillow for my feet on the floor of the car and one for my back. Of course I was in my brace. I took my pain meds and a sleeping pill, reclined the seat back a little and slept most of the way home. My husband would wake me up every half hour to wiggle my feet, then back to sleep I went.

Shari

Comment

Working...
              X