Post Op pain and exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Op pain and exercises

I had a spinal fusion with harrington rods from C-3 to L-3 for 3-dimentsional idiopathic scoliosis in June 1996, and since then it has been a lessening of the pain I remember most of the time, with periods where I wonder why I got the surgery at all. I live with constant pain in varying degrees. I have my good days and bad days since the surgery, but on the overall I think that I am glad I got the surgery. I do however have many questions.

I am one of the unfortunates to not be covered by medical insurance and I can't afford the regular visits to a doctor to try and fathom the reason I still have pain. I wanted to know if anyone has experienced high degrees of pain after the surgery?

Second, is it common to have physical therapy after the surgery?

Also, for anyone with experience with harrington rods, is it common for one rod to be longer than the other. One doctor I was able to speak to when I had insurance in 2001 expressed concern that the rod was too long and was thinking I might need readjustment. Shortly after that however I lost my job and my insurance and was not able to see him again.

Lastly, what is a good online resource for exercises that can be done to increase back strength and flexibility? I often find myself feeling sore and I would like to build the strength in my back to assist this but I have no clue were to start. Unfortunately I am overwieght and very sedintary as my current occupation is phone operator for a satelite company. I want to change this but I am clueless.

Any help or answers would be appreciated as I find life a very painfull and depressing place right now. I want to change that.

Thanks
    Dawn
    Last edited by KaliChondra; 02-04-2006, 06:06 PM.

Hey Dawn,
    I don't remember the level of pain after my surgery but I had a physical therapist coming to my house (I have an underlying disabilty and I had to learn to walk again, so I don't know if everyone has physical therapy). Might I suggest going to a local rec center to swim, that feels so good on my back! I stretch my legs, do crunches, and use a pedal exerciser (I can't get on a bike), which also feels good on my back. I find back.com to be a helpful site too...good luck to you!

Comment

Hi Dawn,

I think many of us are fearful to answer your questions because we are not medical professionals. I feel that everyone's situation is different. I don't think any advice can replace that of a professional. I have found that not all physicians believe in PT. I personally have found 2 books that have helped me to some degree. One is "Feldenkrais Method for Dynamic Health-Awareness Heals", and the other is "Relaxercise" by Mark Reese.

Again I am not a physician, but I have found them interesting reading.

Hang in there,
      Shari

Comment

Hi Dawn,

My daughter was only 13 when she had her spinal fusion done, but she did have physical therapy starting at about 2-3 months post-op. I don't know if her doctor prescribes it for everyone or not.

May I ask you a question? You said you are fused from C3-L3. Has having your neck fused really impacted your life? The reason I'm asking is that my daughter is already fused from T3-L2 and is possibly facing a cervical fusion from about C3 down to her current fusion.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful with your situation.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Dawn, like the others have said, i'm not a medical professional either, but most doctors that i've heard of encourage water exercises... even if it's just walking laps in the pool about chest-deep. it feels so good to my back to let the water take some of the pressure off it. I use the floats and just hang there motionless sometimes to let my spine rest. then i do leg raises and very simple exercises that i learned in physical therapy to strengthen leg muscles. Then i walk laps... some of them i walk backwards which my therapist told me was good to do. After about an hour in the pool, i get into the hot tub and let the jets massage my back muscles. ...ahhhhhhhhh...lol....Thats just what I do, i'm not telling you to do it, since i dont know all your medical conditions... but it sure helps me...and really, if you have a sedentary lifestyle, even simple exercises will help.. you certainly don't need to go overboard to begin.

Good luck to you, and i'm proud of you for wanting to do something to improve your situation and pain! JoAnn

Comment

PT no insurance

Personally, with your level of fusion I would be afraid to do something fancy exercise - wise without a physician, perhaps a physiatrist, guiding you.

My surgeon encouraged walking as a start--and it's cheap and simple. It did help me to reduce pain when I was healing. Everything suggested so far costs money.

Is there any way you could visit an adult scoliosis clinic at a nearby university hospital to get professional guidance? Payment is on a sliding scale.

Can you get Medicaid at least in the meantime?

Karen
            Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
            Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Karen....

I have a feeling that Kali isn't in the U.S. At least, I hope not, since she's got Harrington rods that were put in in 1996. I know that Harrington rods are still widely used in other areas of the world, especially India.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply, much has been going on.

I understand that everyone is not a professional. I appreciate your replies anyway.

Actually I am in the USA. The surgery was done by Dr. Misenheimer in El Paso, Texas at Sierra Medical center.

I do walk quite a bit. I used to have to walk to work and home (7 mile round trip) every day. It helps when I am feeling bad to walk, but it's not really helping enough. I am out in the country making it harder to get to a public pool, but I will look into it.

Mary Lou, having the cervical vertibrae fused is actually one of the parts of the fusion that doesn't bother me. I did have a small hump on my back that is barely noticeable as a result of the fusion but I am sure that is not very typical.

Dawn

Comment

Working...
                X