What exercises can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exercises can I do?

I'm male and have had my surgery for 4 years already. I'm 19 but during those four years, I've done little to no exercise. Needless to say, I'm ~20 pounds overweight(6', 195 pounds). I'd like to drop off the weight and I know that cardio will help but I also want to be able to weight train. So would I be able to do it? I've tried lifting weights(both bench ~140 and free weights 20 pounds) but up to a certain point, I begin to chicken out and stop(the numbers I gave above are what I'm comfortable with). Is there any reaon for me to get worried? For some reason I imagine the rods getting twisted inside my back.....

Also are pushups a viable option? I've done them but my lower back is protesting even though I do them *properly*

I imagine that I have no lower back muscle to speak of. It gets sore very easily after anytype of exercise.

We'd also be interested to hear what people know about surgery post-fusion. Caitlin is only 9 months post-op, and still under some restrictions, but we're curious about the long-term. What should she do to minimise problems 20 years down the line (she's fused from T3 to L1). Anything especially good for those under-pressure unfused vertebrae? Anything to definitely avoid, other than the obviously risky stuff?

Thanks - Patricia
    Patricia
    Scoli Mum from New Zealand
    Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
    Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

I know swimming is a great exercise but after extended sessions, I always get leg cramps for some reason

Comment

I think you should try to find a physical therapist who deals with spine issues, who can guide you to what exercises are OK.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine
          I think you should try to find a physical therapist who deals with spine issues, who can guide you to what exercises are OK.

--Linda
          Sounds expensive, as a college student I don't think I can really afford one. I'm just posting here in hopes that someone can share their experiences.

Comment

I agree with Linda that you should meet with a physical therapist who specializes in spine issues. Being that you are a college student, perhaps the health center at your school could refer you to someone who will give you a price break on some sessions or refer you to an area college which has a Physical Therapy Dept. where students could work with you free of charge. They get experience and you get the proper advice and technique that you are looking for. If you have insurance (your own or your parents') your insurance may pay for a given # of visits with you paying the low co-pay.

I had PT after my surgery and within only 4 visits, had a set routine of exercises that I continue to do to this day (1 year post-op) on my own and will need to continue for the rest of my life in order to keep my back healthy. I had a total of 12 visits and my therapy included both cardio and weights. I think most of us will hesitate to give specific exercise information as doing an exercise incorrectly could cause you more pain or could result in injury. It really is best to seek a medical professional's opinion for this.

Comment

Working...
            X