Post Op Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Op Depression

Can anyone give me advice where I can find information on the effects of Scoliosis and depression. My daughter is four months post op and all is well physically. However, she has been more angry and reserved over the last month. There are other environmental factors but I would like to read any studies that might address the issue.

Hi...

I doubt that the scoliosis itself has anything to do with depression. However, depression after surgery is relatively common. You can find all sorts of literature on the subject here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I am 6 years post-op. I required 3 surgeries in the course of my treatment. I became very depressed, especially after 3 in 12 months. It's difficult to go through such surgery and feeling like you can't have a "normal" life while you recover at such an age. I felt like no one understood what I was going through, and I just wanted to be experiencing teenage life like the rest of my friends. If she'd like to talk to someone who's gone through it, please have her send me a message and I'd be glad to help!
      ScoliMed is Katie
      22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
      Posterior fusion 1999
      Failed, lumbar curve to 70
      Posterior removal 2000
      Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
      Still in pain, tried almost everything!
      Currently in medical school

Comment

Working...
      X