Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain after surgery - does it go away?

Hey everyone,

I've posted a few times now and there is so much good advice you all have to offer so I thouht I'd see about this one.

I just had anterior spinal fusion T12-L4 on 1/4/06. Was in the hospital for a full week, in the ICU almost that entire time. I've been home for almost 3 weeks now and I figured sometime soon the pain would start to lessen and start to fade away. Well it doesn't seem to be at all. If anything it seems like the pain the last few days has gotten worse for me. I'm stiffer than I was last week, and its so hard just to get out of bed to walk to the bathroom much less do all the walking I'm supposed to. Sitting is very painful, standing for more than a few minutes and walking is too so it seems my only option is laying in bed, but that gets boring and painful too.

I just would have thought at almost 3 weeks out of the hospital I'd be feeling so much better by now, but it seems its just hurting more.

I hear about some people getting off their pain meds and back to work soon, and right now I can't even imagine missing one dose much less getting off them all the way.

With the advice of Linda I'm going to call my doc on monday to see about upping my dosage or trying something new. But any advice on how long it took others to feel better would be so nice to hear.

Thank you!
    Shelly
    Shelly
    Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Hi Shelly...

I've found that there's a huge range of the time it takes to start feeling better. In my own experience, although I still had a lot of pain, I started feeling much better at about 5 weeks post op.

I'd really encourage you to start taking walks even though you're in pain. Getting active REALLY makes a difference.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Shelly,

I think we all heal differently. I feel it's is wonderful to share our experiences, but I don't think it's wise to compare. Just because someone else is off their meds or back to work, doesn't mean a thing. We have all gone through the same experience, but we're all different. Different procedures, different doctors, etc.

I got myself in such a state of depression after my surgery by comparing my healing time to others. I think the kind of surgery you have gone through is naturally going to be painful. At first I would sit and watch the clock for it to be time for me to take my next pain pill. But it does get better, it just takes time.

There were times when I had to force myself to walk, get out of bed, take a shower and even eat. You're not alone! You've been through alot! Hang in there, we are all here for you!

Not running any marathons yet either,
      Shari

Comment

Shari and Linda,

Thank you for your advice. It does help to hear that we are all different and there is not a "standard" on what to expect. I mean even my doctor before surgery thought I'd be off work for about a month maybe a little bit longer and now he's saying more like 3 months. So I see how it all just depends on the patient.

Thanks for your support and help! I'm sure I'll have more questions again soon.

Shelly
        Shelly
        Anterior Spinal Fusion and titanium rod and screws inserted to correct 45 degree thoracolumbar curve from T12 - L4 on 1/4/06.

Comment

Originally posted by Shari
          Hi Shelly,

I think we all heal differently. I feel it's is wonderful to share our experiences, but I don't think it's wise to compare. Just because someone else is off their meds or back to work, doesn't mean a thing. We have all gone through the same experience, but we're all different. Different procedures, different doctors, etc.

I got myself in such a state of depression after my surgery by comparing my healing time to others. I think the kind of surgery you have gone through is naturally going to be painful. At first I would sit and watch the clock for it to be time for me to take my next pain pill. But it does get better, it just takes time.

There were times when I had to force myself to walk, get out of bed, take a shower and even eat. You're not alone! You've been through alot! Hang in there, we are all here for you!

Not running any marathons yet either,
          Shari
          Shari...

That's excellent advice. I have two friends, approximately the same age, who had surgeries on the same days last year. One was a revision surgery, and her recovery was remarkably fast. She was off all pain medications within 3 weeks. The other was a first surgery, and she's still on pain meds, almost a year later. And, she's very depressed, having seen her friend recover so quickly. Wish I knew why there's such a wide variance.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Shelly. Linda and Shari are right, everyone is different in their healing times, so try not to be depressed over your progress. If it will make you feel any better i'll admit that i was like you at just 3 weeks. I couldn't understand why i was not able to walk and endure the pain like so many people were. I think it just has to do with the amount of trauma your body has undergone. One month off work was what i was shooting for too...big laugh now when i think of that.... turned out to be 3 months for me and still are days that i wish i could just stay at home with a heating pad and recliner. The thing to remember is that although you have good days and bad, the bad are getting fewer and farther between... One good day might result in a couple of bad ones if you overdo... so just take your progress slow and easy... Push yourself to walk a little more each day, but dont worry about anything else.. You are unique and so is your recovery.
            And we are here to give you hugs and encouragement .... You can do it!!!

Comment

Shelly,
              I'm not sure of your age, but I was 30 when I had my surgery; somewhat on the young side. I was out of work for 11 weeks and went back part-time for another 8 weeks before going back full-time. I don't think I really felt good until about the 5 or 6 week mark. During my first few weeks at home, my husband would make me walk around the first floor of our house a couple of times a day for as long as I could before getting tired or sore (it was the middle of a very snowy Winter here in Maine, so there was no way I could walk outside). I called them my "hot laps" and a big help was that my dog would walk behind me the entire time, so it was fun to do them because I had 'someone' to do them with. There were days when I would not want to do the laps, but my husband would push me and tell me that in order to get better, I had to get up and move around; even if just for a few minutes.

I think part of feeling like you hurt more now might be that you're feeling things now that might have been numb due to the heavy drugs you had in the hospital. That was the case for me anyway. I found that I was becoming more aware of discomfort and soreness in the first few weeks after surgery.

Hang in there Shelly! It does get better...

Comment

Hi Shelly, I'm so sorry that you're in so much pain. You know when I had my surgery, everything hurt so bad and for so long that I honestly couldn't remember how it felt 'not' to hurt... you know? I remember that I'd post on here complaining, and I'd get messages telling me to 'hang in there', or that 'things will get better soon', but it sort of did me no good, because all I knew was that I was hurting really bad at that moment... I couldn't understand how everyone seemed to be so 'ok' after their surgeries while it was an ordeal to even walk to the bathroom. I was never comfortable, and I'd lay up late into the night just staring at nothing, and wishing I was better... Occasionally, I'd even regret having the surgery....

Well, it past, Shelly... slowly but surely, it past... I know it seems hard and hopeless, but hang in there... You'll look back one day and marvel at how much better you are... I really, really, really hope that you feel better soon... :-) Monie
                27 Years Old
                Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
                Post Surgery: 15 degrees
                www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey everyone!

Thank you for the encoragement. It really does help to hear other's experiences with this. I just guess before the surgery I thought I had researched and prepared so much and that I had an idea of what it would be like and once it actually happened it was just very different. I guess you can never be prepared enough. I am really trying to keep the focus on how much better I will be by the spring. I was in so much pain before surgery so I know this will pay off eventually.

I am really so happy that I found this forum, it has really helped me cope the last few weeks by reading what everyone has to say. All of my friends and family have been so great to me, but still even they don't fully understand it all and you all do. I can't thank you enough for your support!

Shelly
                  Shelly

Comment

i found strength in charting my OWN progress and seeing how much better i was from day to day: like after i'd been home for a week i was feeling better than i had in hospital, and the next week i'd walk a little further and so on. it's such a gradual thing, it's frustratingly similar to watching paint dry.

for younger people like myself, 3 weeks seems to be the crunch point and people get a lot better then, but like linda said, the older people i know tended to have a bit of an upward swing at about 5 weeks. honestly - once you start feeling better you feel a LOT better and wonder what you panicked about and it really is downhill from there. you often get really eager to do stuff and get to the brink of pushing yourself too far i think it's something like making up for lost time.

i already look back on surgery as the best decision i ever made and i've thought that for a couple of months now. you're doing great, try to stay positive
                    diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                    braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                    fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                    Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                    scoliosis support forum

Comment

Hey Marmyte,

Thanks for your post. I noticed your surgery or the area fused is very close to my area. You are T11-L3 and I am T12-L4.

How was your surgery done? Anterior or Posterior? Mine was anterior and they went in on my left side. On me they removed part of one of my ribs at the top of my incision area, not sure which level it is but it's right at the top.
                      Did they do this to you? They removed it to make room to get in to the spine and also used the bone for the fusion.

I was wondering if you or anyone else who has had their rib removed has had any problems with it after? Mine feels like it's poking out of my skin and is pretty painful. Especially when I lay in bed if I lay straight on my back it hurts that area where the rib was taken out. My husband has noticed this week that area looks a little more swollen than it did before, or like something is sticking out a bit. Has anyone had any problems with their partially removed rib. I just don't know if this is normal or if I should be concerned.

At night when I sleep I have to put a pillow under my left side and sort of prop it up a bit so it doesn't hurt. But then after laying like that for a while it hurts my left hip because I guess it throws it off. It also concerns me that I could be twisting a little which you know after surgery you can't do that.

Most people on this forum seem to have had posterior and I am not sure they take a rib out when they do that procedure.

Does anyone have any rib issues like this?

Thanks again for your support and advice!
                      Shelly
                      Shelly

Comment

Hi Shelly...

My rib was pretty painful for about 6 weeks, but I can't say that it felt like it was poking me.

When do you go back to see your surgeon?

--Linda

Comment

shelly

i had anterior surgery, through my left side too. i don't know for sure but i THINK i had a rib removed (same as you - to gain access and to use as a bone graft) and it caused me horrendous pain. i even go as far as to say that the pain from my rib was worse than my spinal pain, but maybe i'm strange

i used to feel like it was poking an odd way and i wonder if that's some kind of phantom bone scenario... what i do know is my pain did go after several weeks.

i'd get your husband to monitor what it looks like, if you're really concerned even take a picture in case it changes so you can show your surgeon. if you're not scheduled for an appointment in the next few weeks, get one and get xrayed, for peace of mind if nothing else

good luck, and if you have ANY more questions, feel free to ask
                          diagnosed aged 14 (2001)
                          braced from july 2001 to february 2003 to hold curves
                          fused T11-L3 on july 16th 2005 (aged 18)
                          Discharged by surgeon july 11th 2007 (aged 20 and almost 2 years post-op)
                          scoliosis support forum

Comment

Thanks for the info about the rib Linda and Marmyte. Actually since I posted this today I spoke with my doctors nurse and told her about how the rib was feeling. She did say this can be normal and told me when I am lying down it was ok to prop up with a pillow on that side to take off some of the pressure on the rib. I think it will get better with time but it's just really sensitive now.
                            Plus I've been in bed a lot lately not getting up too much so maybe laying for such long periods had irritated it.

Marmyte I'd have to agree with you sometimes the pain in rib area is worse than the pain in the fusion area. I think our bed may be part of the problem, I think its time for a new one. We've flipped it and turned it around and even bought one of those "down like" pillow top covers for it, which helped a little but I think there are a few spots that are sinking in from me being in bed so much. I think that is just making the pain worse cause it's probably not supporting my back properly. We might be shopping for a new bed this weekend.

I see my surgeon again on Feb. 24, so I'll monitor it for now and if it keeps getting worse I'll get in sooner to see him. I don't want to get in the car for another ride if it's not necessary yet. My husband took me yesterday to get measured for a new back brace and that car ride was horrible! Every little bump killed me, and he was very cautious about driving slow.

I think my body is starting to feel new things because it's getting use to all the changes it has had from the surgery. I've also started to have little shooting pains that seem to happen mostly during the night when sleeping. I think it's got to be from laying in bed for prolonged periods of time.

Thanks for your help. I feel like each day there is something new that I notice or feel. It's just good to hear from others that have had it too.

Shelly
                            Shelly

Comment

Shelly, I'm glad you are listening to your body, your husband, and your surgeon. I, too, had a rib taken out. I have had no pain there, at all. However, please don't compare your recovery to mine or anyone else's. If you have doubts, call your doctor again. Your worrying too much about something can slow down your healing. Just take care of yourself, and continue to let your husband know how much you appreciate him! I know my husband was continually worried about me, and my daughter, cooked, cleaned, taxied my daughter and me around, AND had a full-time job. I know that he needed me to let him know how important he was. Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X