Numbness six months after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbness six months after surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everybody. i was just wondering if anybody had any advice for me and my girlfriend. she had surgery for Scoliosis about 6 months ago, in the beginning of july 2005. i dont know exactly which all vertbrae was fused but i know she had 4 curves and the most severe being almost 70 degrees. she also had a twist in her spine that the surgeon twisted back to "normal" almost perfectly. she had a great surgeon and came out of surgery just fine. after being in the hospital for a week she came home and did minimal things, like a few chores, laundry and such. now for this semester she has gone back to college as a freshman. this is her first semester of school since she graduated high school in January 2005. but ever since she started last week she has awful pain and numbness in her legs, calves and ankles;especially at night. we have called her surgeon's office, but he is out for a week with a family emergency and his office is two hours away from us. so in the meantime i was wondering if any other patients, parents or family members have expierienced this and had any advice on a remedy or what it is. thanks-jamie

Originally posted by btex16
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey everybody. i was just wondering if anybody had any advice for me and my girlfriend. she had surgery for Scoliosis about 6 months ago, in the beginning of july 2005. i dont know exactly which all vertbrae was fused but i know she had 4 curves and the most severe being almost 70 degrees. she also had a twist in her spine that the surgeon twisted back to "normal" almost perfectly. she had a great surgeon and came out of surgery just fine. after being in the hospital for a week she came home and did minimal things, like a few chores, laundry and such. now for this semester she has gone back to college as a freshman. this is her first semester of school since she graduated high school in January 2005. but ever since she started last week she has awful pain and numbness in her legs, calves and ankles;especially at night. we have called her surgeon's office, but he is out for a week with a family emergency and his office is two hours away from us. so in the meantime i was wondering if any other patients, parents or family members have expierienced this and had any advice on a remedy or what it is. thanks-jamie
    I'm almost 3 years post-op, and do experience many of the symptoms that your gf mentioned even today, but only on a week to week basis. However, the first year post-op was a huge struggle for me to deal with the pain, and overall weekness in the legs is a very common and almost unavoidable issue when you have surgery on your spine especially a fusion. Furthermore, my doctor told me that it takes a good 1 1/2 year to completely recover from this type of surgery and she's "only" 6 months post-op, which are arguably the hardest imo... The best advice is to rest as much as possible, and avoid unnecessary physical tasks.

Comment

Hi there Jamie. I had my surgery when I was 12, quite some time ago. I had severe numbness in my legs but we were told it most likely had to do with the fact that my 6 hour surgery was cut to less than 3 hours due to my bleeding out quite badly. It lasted for nearly a year but eventually did get better. I still have very restless legs, that has never changed. but hopefully your girlfriend will improve soon! good luck, and way to be looking out for her!

Comment

Hi and welcome! I had my surgery in November and still have numbness in my buttox and the upper part of my legs. I have been told by my excellent surgeon that this is normal. Most of the healing will take place in the next 6-12 months. Keep trying until you get ahold of the doctor. It will make you both feel better. Linda

Comment

Working...
        X