Looking for a good ortho in Boston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good ortho in Boston

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was younger but was not treated for it. I am now 29 and recently saw an orthepedic surgeon who recommended surgery. He told me that my curve was 60 degrees. He was not very specific with my curves but he did say that I had a left thoracic curve and a right lumbar curve. I was not expecting that my condition had advanced so much since childhood so I was not prepared to ask the questions I should have. I feel that surgery should be a last option and he implied that it was my only option. I would like to get a second opinion and I was wondering if anyone could suggest an orthepedist in Boston? I would like a doc that listens and explains information in detail. Also, is an orthepedic surgeon the person I am supposed to be seeing for my scoliosis?

Unfortunately, I don't know of a particular surgeon in Boston for you. I had surgery in Providence, RI by Dr. Charles d'Amato. I had rods implanted in 1992 and am now 28 and need to have them out! I now live in Arizona, however. I see where you are coming from in being surprised that your curves have grown, etc. Let me know if I can be of any help to you! I used to live in Boston, however never needed a surgeon there since my doctor was so close. I will try to find out what I can for you, though.

First thing for you is to find a different doctor to compare opinions. I went to four or five before making the decision to have surgery. It is a huge decision to make, especially at 29. You have to feel, for yourself, that you need it. Of course, a surgeon will most likely tell you that you need surgery; that is what they do for a living. Are you in pain? Are you uncomfortable?

My very best to you! I will ask people I know if they happen to know of any good surgeons in Boston!

~Andrea

Comment

Hi...

You might want to do a search (see Search icon above) on John Emans, Paul Glazer, and Frank Rand. They're all Boston surgeons who have been mentioned here before.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Boston Doctor

Hi!

I did contact a friend of mine in Boston and found a name of a good doctor for you. He gave me these two sites:

http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/MarkLapp/

http://www.osalowell.com/

Good luck! Let me know if I can be of any more help!
        ~Andrea

Comment

Kirkham Wood is my doctor

Hi there I am from Vermont and went to Boston for my second opinion. I saw Kirkham Wood at Mass General. He is the chief of the spine institute. I was impressed with him and have decided to use him as my surgeon. He has a waiting list for surgery but I guess thats a good sign.. Let me know if you need more information. Alissa

Comment

Working...
          X