Back to School Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to School Update

Well, today was Joe's 1st day back to school, he was happy and anxious at the same time. I felt as nervous (and teary) as 1st day kindergarten, lol - but all his friends were happy to see him and their warm welcome made me glad for him. The plan was for him to stay as long as he felt comfortable, and he didn't want to pick up the hall & elevator pass as he was sure he wouldn't need them - typical boy!

After dropping him off at 8am, took little bro to school at 9am and thought I could sneak in a desperately needed haircut. By the time I got back home, there was a message from school health nurse that Joe's back was bothering him so I went to pick him up. Part of it was back hurting and part anxiety of going back. He's doing ok now, we live close enough that I could pick up and take back when he feels better should he need that in the upcoming days & weeks. He did come home with a hall pass and elevator key though! Oh well, at least he "got his feet wet" and hopefully things will be a little better tomorrow. How is everyone else doing?? Good I hope, take care everyone - hope you have a great day!

Renee

Hi Renee,
    My daughter went back last week, which was good as it was a 4 day week instead of 5 with holiday last Monday. She went back with the same understand that she could call me if she needed to leave school because of pain or getting too tired. She made it all day every day though and I was impressed. She was pretty tired by Friday, but she did great. She uses the elevator pass and can have one friend with her, and she has the extra set of books for home. Elizabeth is farther postop out than your son though. She is 8 weeks today. We had Christmas break which helped and then the end of the 9 weeks. We waited to start the 3rd nine weeks fresh.

Good luck to your son in tolerating the pain and making the adjustment back to school. Elizabeth also took a square squishy pillow with her to put behind her back as she sits in the desks at school. I think that has helped a lot although she is getting tired of carrying the pillow around to her classes.

-Connie

Comment

Hi Connie,

Wow, that's great she made it all day throughout the week! I can understand her feeling tired by Friday, certainly, that is alot of time sitting up and walking around. That's nice your dr. let her stay off that long, from what I have compared from other posts it seems like Joe's dr. tries to get the kids back to school alot sooner. I remember the surgical coordinator saying that he frowns on the kids staying off even six weeks! Why, I'm not sure, I think he feels its best for the kids to get back to somewhat normal routine as soon as possible, but this is definitely not something you can rush. I will be happy with Joe going for short but increasing periods and soon I know he will be back to the regular school schedule. I'm not going to worry about it.

Does you daughter ever need to go to nurses office to lay down awhile?? The beds in our health office don't look too comfy for sore backs, I'm thinking of maybe getting some comfy cushions/pillows to keep there and maybe Joe will want to rest there awhile rather than coming home. We'll see how it goes. On to the next thing for now - insurance, ugh! That is something I really don't want to deal with!! Take care, talk to ya later -

Renee

Comment

Renee & Connie, your kids are doing great. Do feel free to ask to keep pillows at school for your child. Crystal kept one at school, in her locker, just in case she needed it. Sometimes, when she would get sore sitting in chairs, would go to her locker and get it so she had something soft to lean against.

Our doctor felt the same way as Joe's doctor. Getting back on their feet the sooner the better. It worked okay for Crystal, but she wasn't one to slow down for long. He didn't want to milk the system (don't take it personally, as I don't mean anything by it) with her because she was such a strong willed child. He also felt because of her athletic body that she needed to be up and going to take advantage of a very healthy body and not let it get soggy.

Tell your kids they are all doing great. I am glad you live close enough to pick your kids up. I had to drive 8 miles to pick Crystal up, but didn't mind doing it when she had had enough of the school day. It's just sometimes she would have to wait longer than I wanted her to because I was in the middle of feeding cows and had to finish that before I could get her picked up.

Nikki

Comment

Renee,

Joe is doing great. He had surgery after Jamie and we have gotten it ok for her to be off this whole 9 weeks. I am not going to rush it. She has a homebound teacher and that helps so she will not have to go back behind. The only thing they cannot do is her electives and we are doing those on our own. Jamie is making huge progress everyday. She is 5 weeks post op and went to church and sunday school yesterday, then had guests then went to high school huddle group "for church" last night. She said she had no pain. So we will see how she does. Glad everyone is doing good. Jamie is enjoying her homebound experience as she is done with work in a shorter amount of time. Good to hear from everyone.

Laura P.

Comment

Working...
          X