Surgery date 3/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery date 3/13

I am pretty new to the site and can't tell you have comforting it is to read stories of others going through and having gone through the same thing we are.

My 14 year old daughter is scheduled to have her a/p fusion on March 13 at Shriners in Sacramento. I am becoming very nervous about the whole thing and just pray that things will work out.

Is anyone else scheduled for March? Anyone in or near the Sacramento area?...Lisa

Hi Lisa, I remember you from a while back. The nervousness is very understandable, I was in your shoes not too long ago. My son just returned to school today, just barely 1 month post-op. He's doing well, its amazing how fast these kids heal and get back on their feet. I'm sure it will be the same for you- it's just getting through these next few weeks that is the absolute hardest, I'm sure it's occupying your every thought right now. I don't know of anyone yet having surgery in March, but you should ask Shriner's (who your daughter is in very good hands with), to put you in touch with other patients who are having surgery around the same time as you. While its comforting to talk to others who have been there, it is also comforting to talk to someone going through the same things you are, at the same time. I wish you and your daughter all the best, and will pray she has an uncomplicated surgery and recovery.

Renee

Comment

Lisa,
      You will love the care your daughter will get at Shriners. My daughter had surgery last spring at Shriners-Portland, OR. They are incredible. Their biggest concern after surgery is getting pain management going, as they feel no child should be in pain. It's hard, because you are a parent and do nothing but worry. However, things will be okay. If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.

Nikki

Comment

Lisa,

I'm 16 years old and I had the surgery less than a year ago--I had just turned 16. I can promise you as long as you and your daughter have positive attitudes, everything will be fine.

I'm from Michigan, so I can't relate to your doctor or anything, but you shouldn't have any problems.

The only things I can tell you is to tell your daughter to not think of it as a negative thing. She's getting fixed, and everything will be fine.

What is your daugters degree of curvature?

At 54° in May 2005, I was corrected down to 16°. It's SO important to try to walk as soon as possible--I was up 12-13 hours after surgery. Laying in that hospital bed is such a downer. I went home 5 days later, drove a month later, practiced soccer two months later, and was finally allowed to play in a real game less than 3 months after my surgery.

I'm not going to lie to you, there are times when it hurts like hell, but they are few and far between. I cannot stress to you enough how important a good attitude is. Going into something as serious as this with a bad outlook will just make things worse.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask
        I enjoy talking about this, and I would love to talk to your daughter if she'd like to chat.

Love, Sam

ps-don't let your daughter read the latest CosmoGirl. There's an article about how horrible one girl's scoliosis surgery was. However, if you'd like to read it, it's the one with Sophia Bush on the cover (it's red) and on page 90. Just skim over it--it's the perfect example of what a bad attitude can do to you.
        xo Sam

Comment

Right now i have a temporary date for my surgery. The date is for march 10th. I am relly anxious about this because of all the pain i have been having. We think this is going to be the actual date we are just waiting for the doctor to call back will a definate answer. I hope your daughters surgery goes well. Good luck
          My name is sierra
          I am 17 years old
          Both my curves are between 55-60 degrees
          I had surgery on March 10th 2006

Post op my curves are 22 on top and 25 on bottom
          I had a selective fussion where they only fussed the top curve hoping the bottom would follow

Comment

Hello... i just registered to this site today so im not really sure how to use it yet. Anyway my name is Nicole and I had surgery at Shriners in Sacramento on December 14th. Almost 2 months ago. I really appreciated talking to this one friend I have who had this surgery so I would be happy to talk to you or your daughter. Im not sure if this is an email to you or if i am posting on the forum or whatever but anyway feel free to write back.

Nicole

Comment

Almost same date!

Hi. I am new to this site, too. My daughter's surgery date is March 14th. Like you, I am so nervous about the procedure. My daughter however, is pretty calm about the whole thing. She had her preop testing last week, and we got a tour of the Children's Hospital. (we're in NJ). Best of luck to you and your daughter. It helps knowing that others are going through the same thing.

Comment

Working...
              X