PDA

View Full Version : Jealousy

Jill K
02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Is it just me or do you guys ever see someone with a straigth spine and get jealous? I hope its not just me!

jakesgirl15
02-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Hey,

Whatz up?? NM going on here.

Actually, I was just talking to my friend today about how I look at people and I wonder " What would it be like with a straight spine?" So yeah, your not the only one. So what is the degree(s) of your scoli?

W/B
:)

Jill K
02-17-2004, 09:26 PM
My degree is about 50. How about you?

savedbygrace
02-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Jill and Ashley,

You're not alone because we all wish we have straight back. Question - Do you also feel very self conscious, like, you think people are always looking at your back? Anybody thinks the same way? Cause I do.

Lily

Jill K
02-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I used to be self conscious when I first started wearing my brace 24/7, but now since most people know about it they think it is cool. I am still very careful to wear clothes that are loose and that you cant see the brace, but I am not so self conscious any more.

Becky
02-19-2004, 12:23 AM
I hate it because I can never find cloths that fit the same way they do a person with a straight back. Shopping for jeans that don't make me look like a frog is so time consueming.

Jill K
02-19-2004, 07:30 AM
the clothes i am wearing right now is a sweat shirt, and jeans (with an expandable waist). And when my friends talk about buying new clothes that fit them perfectly it makes me so mad!

isaacschicky
02-19-2004, 02:59 PM
HI my name is Hannah. I am 13 in 7th grade. Wearing a brace is very hard, especially at our age because we want all of the boys to notice us. BUt usually people can't tell we have it on.... And i still don' think i look bad in the brace. I mean i think i look better w/o it but i still don't think i look bad. And i can promise u that u don't look bad either. U are beautiful with and w/o the brace. Talk to u soon!

jakesgirl15
02-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Jill,

My curve is 37.

Talk to you later!!

yalie2009
02-21-2004, 08:37 PM
hi!
I had 2 degrees of about 20-25 degrees each, and wore a Boston. People could notice it from looking at my back because it would stick out where it was pushing on my shoulder blade, and would sometimes ask me. Loose clothes would look the best as tight ones would show my brace more especially there and also the buckles would sometimes show. But, you can get some really cute baggy clothes, and just remember - it's not permanent!
Now that I'm out of the brace, one of my shoulder blades sticks out farther than the other one and I'm really self-conscious of it cuz I think that other people notice it. It's also annoying when I want to sit against a wall - it's very uncomfortable. My older sister, who also had scoliosis and wore a Boston then had the surgery, has 1 shoulder blade that sticks out much farther than the other (farther than mine) and I can see it and I'm self-conscious about mine.
Of course I always look at others' backs and am jealous of their straight-ness. I think that's always the way it works - the grass is greener on the other side...
Good luck!

AZ:)

hotpinkshoelace
02-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Omg like I feel the same way. I hate that some people don't have to deal with all the things I have h ad to deal with because of this!

Hellsbells87
02-26-2004, 01:22 PM
yeah all the time!!!Me and my sister were in the car the other day and she was saying that her back really hurt cos she was in a car crash and i was like at least u hav a straight spine!!i feel like WHY ME??????i mean it affects like 4 in 1000 people and i would have to be one of those 4.

Jill K
02-27-2004, 09:06 PM
You said it! Yeah i can definatly relate to what you guys have been saying. It also hurts when people with straight backs take it for granite and do not even think about us (people with scoliosis). They will never be able to epathize on what we are feeling. GRRR! Oh well. Talk to you guys later.

stormeygal
03-01-2004, 07:18 PM
I know what you guys mean. I went through 1 screening thinkin' heck why do I have to do this I don't have it. They didn't catch it, but a couple of weeks later I found out I had it. Then I went through another knowing i had it and the nurses still didn't catch it!!!:eek: Then this year, after i got my brace, I told a lot of people. Then for this years screening I didn't have to do it. After this screening, two people I knew told me they were really woried beccause they found out through the screening that they had it. One girl's isn't bad enough to be treated, but she is still being watched. The other girl just knows she has it, and is getting a xray later. So, that made me feel not as bad, cause i know that I'm not the only girl with scoliosis in my school!:D This may sound mean, but I was sorta hoping that one of them would have to wear a brace, is that really mean?:confused: I mean it sounds selfish, but then i wouldn't be the only one in a brac!;)

ReBeCcA a.

Jill K
03-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Yeah some girls at my school have scoliosis too, but not as bad. My degree is about 48 or so. There are two other girls that i know of that have it but there degrees are a lot less then mine (my degrees really are not so bad but compared to theirs mine are). This one girl in chorus was complaining that her back hurts (she does not have a brace) and it was because she has scoliosis. Well i can ampathize but her degree is like 16 plus she does not have to wear a brace. It just got me mad cause im looking at her like what does she think she's saying, im sitting over here barely able to breath and shes complaing about her "back pain". Oh well.......Any who i can definalty agree with what you are saying, and i dont think it sounds mean, you probably just want someone who knows what you are going through. talk to everyone later

Janetisawesome
03-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Gosh!

I feel exactley the same way. The other day, I was shopping 4 clothes with my sister, and I felt like crying when I saw all these girls walking around with such cute shirts, that were really tight. When it was winter, I didn't have that big of a problem. I wore a sweatshirt, and I didn't stand out because everyone was wearing a sweatshirt. But it's spring now, and all the girls are wearing tight shirts and skirts. And I feel so self-consious that I don't want to stop wearing my sweatshirt. It gets sooo hot (I live in CA) and I'm like dying. It sux.

Janetisawesome
03-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Gosh!

I feel exactley the same way. The other day, I was shopping 4 clothes with my sister, and I felt like crying when I saw all these girls walking around with such cute shirts, that were really tight. When it was winter, I didn't have that big of a problem. I wore a sweatshirt, and I didn't stand out because everyone was wearing a sweatshirt. But it's spring now, and all the girls are wearing tight shirts and skirts. And I feel so self-consious that I don't want to stop wearing my sweatshirt. It gets sooo hot (I live in CA) and I'm like dying. It sux.

~Janet

fairylvr
05-26-2004, 07:57 PM
:mad: i hate it when someone pats me on the back for good luck and i dont even feel it! then they pat me again and finally they say: whats on your back. and i say nothing and they say: but its hard and i say no it isnt and they say yeah it is and then i leave. its embarrassing! the entire week we did dance for PE and cute guys had to hold my waist and look at me wierd but since i have to wear this retarded thing i couldnt even feel their manly hands around me!

Jill K
05-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I know how you feel! Some people think that I am carrying books ?!?!?! Strange but true. We had ballroom dancing in march or something but I dropped my brace off in a room. My friends poke and push me all the time not being mean but having fun.....but it bugs me a lot. talk to you later.
~Jill

AndreaElle
05-26-2004, 09:36 PM
I just joined this site today and I was going to use the user name of FaeryLover ....isn't that amazing? Didn't you just join today, too? I used my aol address instead to keep it easy.

Anyway, I can identify with your feelings. I am 27 now, but, I had to wear a brace when I was 15 and it is really hard. People have questions and you just want to melt or disappear into mid air! I understand! If nothing else, at least by being on here you can see that there are other people who are like you. You will get through it. I know it is hard.

Since you are interested in art you should try to use it as an outlet as to how you feel about everything you are going through. I am an artist and I also write poetry when I can.

Take good care and if you ever need anything, let me know!
Andrea in Tucson, Arizona

fairylvr
05-27-2004, 11:25 AM
This is so ironic! I also just logged in. Its cool how I can talk with people who know how Im feeling! I love fairies and I wish that I can draw them but I've tried and I just cant!
Anyways, I hate it when my friend punch me (for fun) . Its kinda embarrasing because people look at me wierd. well, talk to you later! ;) :p

dapsbounce8
05-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey Jill and other forum members!
I totally know how you feel...after my surgery I kept saying, why me? why did I have to go through this? lifes not fair! Finally, after my weeks of moping, I came to the point where I understood that life isn't fair and never will be, but everyone has problems. For example, I eat all the time, but never gain weight. People always say how unfair that is, but then again, they have a straight back, and I had to have surgery for mine.

So, my point is to accept the fact that life isn't easy and that everyone struggles with something...there wouldn't be any good if there wasn't any bad. So accept your back - you can't change it by worrying about it. Love life and have fun!!! Isn't that what its all about???

fairylvr
05-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey AndreaElle: I was wondering how long it's okay for me to have my brace off. On June 7, my 8th grade class is going to the waterslides to celebrate our graduation and that requires me to be out of my brace for 9 hours. Is it okay for me to be out of it that long? will it affect me? thanks

talk to you later, Aura from California:p

AndreaElle
05-28-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm not certain if it would be a big deal for you to not wear your brace for 9 hours. Did you ask your doctor? Did your doctor mention to you if you could ever take it off for an extended period of time? I wouldn't really think it would be a problem, yet, you might want to ask your doctor or a nurse to be sure! I know that you are probably in the process of growing and that is why you want to wear it as much as possible! I remember my doctor let me take it off for a couple of school functions, however. Do you normally wear it for the entire day?

I'm so happy I met you on here! Keep trying to draw faeries...I promise you if you practice with drawing you will get better and better! Perhaps you could try something else that you are interested in...something simple.

Believe in yourself as you believe in the fairies!!! Take good care, Aura!
~Andrea

fairylvr
05-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey Andrea! I'm so glad I met you here too! I haven't asked my doctor yet. I have an appointment with him on June 9, but Im scared because I think that my brace is too loose and he might get mad. The only time I take my brace off is to shower. How long did you have to wear your brace? My doctor said that I will probably wear it for two years. I've been wearing it since October.
I once drew a fairy but she looked like she had a beard. I diidnt like it, but I will keep trying!;)
Talk to you later!

dapsbounce8
05-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Fairylvr:
Having your brace off for nine hours shouldn't be a problem - your curve is not going to change that quickly. The only time when your spine can change drastically is when you aren't wearing it for the recommended time on a regular basis. Have fun at your party!

fairylvr
05-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanx Charlotte! I wear my brace 23/7. I hope I have fun at my party too. The weather here hasent been very nice but i hope that its hot when we go to the waterslides! talk to you later!

AndreaElle
05-28-2004, 09:16 PM
I think you should certainly go to the waterpark~ You will feel as if you are wearing the brace! It's always strange to not wear it one you are used to having it on! Freeeeeedom!

I hope you have fun! I'll wish you warmth and sun on the 7th!

Hope you had a good day!

dapsbounce8
05-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey - I forgot to say that time in water is not considered as time out of the brace...I guess theres something about being in water that keeps you back aligned, maybe the pressure? Anyway, just thought I'd let you know - now you don't have to feel so guilty!

fairylvr
05-29-2004, 03:26 PM
Thanks for telling me that! Thats cool how I can be in the water and keep my back straight! thanks again!
love, aura

fairylvr
05-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Also, Andrea, guess what? I drew a fairy yesterday and it looks so good! It took me so long to master drawing fairies! Thanks a lot for everything!

AndreaElle
05-30-2004, 05:05 PM
See! If you practice and practice you won't even believe the talent you have! Keep drawing! That is so cool!
Enjoy your day!
~Andrea
PS Soon you will be a professional and everyone will pay you for your work!!

fairylvr
06-12-2004, 02:59 PM
hey Andrea, if you want to talk some more, here is my email address: aurangeluz@hotmail.com
We have to KIT

OneofFive1
06-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I never feel jealous about people with straight spines. I don't really care!

Boo
06-13-2004, 01:07 PM
i dont really mind having a different spine, because i think of myself as being more special and i like being different. Not many people get scoliosis where i live. I got a Endurance award for being brave a touching other peoples lives.

I do however, get really upset when i bend down to pick somthing up and my "frends" go "omigosh your bak is well wonky and look at your shoulder!" i jus feel like slapping them.

i think my experiance has been hard though. I wore a body brace for bout 8 months and it was acctually too small! i hurt like hell and didnt even work!

my curve was 26 degrees and all the time i wore the brace i got a nother curve at the top which was around 40-50 degrees now i hav 2 hav surgery. which i'm not too happy about!:mad:

dapsbounce8
06-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Good luck with your surgery! Are you having rib removal done? You might want to consider it if you want to get rid of any back hump.

Boo
06-13-2004, 03:03 PM
yep they are taking out some of my rib did they do that 2 u?

dapsbounce8
06-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes. I had four or five ribs removed. It was a pain (haha), but its worth it because now I am much more confident about how I look in my clothes.

Boo
06-14-2004, 11:30 AM
do your ribs grow back again?:confused:

dapsbounce8
06-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I don't know! I always wondered about that. I don't think they do. I guess they are just gone.

Boo
06-17-2004, 12:14 PM
can you feel a weired gap?

dapsbounce8
06-18-2004, 07:10 PM
No. I thought I would be able to, but I've tried and can't. I guess its because all of the tissue is still there, just the bones are gone. The only way that I look different is that the hump is gone, of course, and that when I look at myself in a bikini, I can see how the right side (ribs removed) curves in, whereas the left side (still has ribs) curves out.

stormeygal
06-29-2004, 02:18 PM
o that sounds really scarry! I'm sorry you had to go through that!