Numbness on One Side of Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbness on One Side of Body

My sister and I both have scoliosis, though her curves are much smaller than mine. For the past year and a half, she has been experiencing numbness on one side of her body. She often awakens in the middle of the night unable to feel the left side of her body, which is quite unpleasant and disconcerting. She has been to many doctors, including neurologists, and nobody can figure out what's wrong. If any of you have experienced this condition, do you have any insights on (1) what's causing it and (2) how to treat it? Many thanks.

Has she had any MRIs?
    I would suggest talking to her doctor about getting one.
    They will be able to see if there is any nerve damage which may be causing the numbness.

I know from personal experience that my numbness in my left leg and foot is caused by severed and damaged nerves in my lower back into my left leg caused by compression on my spinal column because of my scoliosis. The only way they found this out was through an MRI.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

KatBlack -- Many thanks for your response. I am going to suggest that she have an MRI done. I think the numbness must be attributable to some type of nerve damage. The weird thing is that her curve is really not at all severe (I believe her lumbar curve is around 20 degrees, if that), but I do suspect the problem is to do with her spine, as she also experiences significant facial numbness and tingling and discomfort. She has suffered terribly with these problems and it's dreadful visiting doctor after doctor, only to have them tell her that it's "all in her head" and that she should seek psychological counseling. It's amazing how some doctors will do a classic "blame the victim" routine when they're unable to diagnose the problem . . .

Comment

For Erica

Has your sister ever had a brain MRI?/or CAT scan. If the face gets numb it could be something else not related to the spine. Make sure the doctors know about one-sided fascial numbness.
        Karen
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi, Karen -- Thanks. I will make sure she tells the doctor about the facial numbness and tingling. For a while we thought it was trigeminal neuralgia, but the neurologists told her no.

Comment

I would suggest, after a full-spine and brain MRI, that your sister sees a neuroSURGEON, not just a neurologist. A neurosurgeon deals with the spinal cord and the issues and conditions associated with it. Good luck to you both.
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you, Carmell. I will pass your suggestion along.

Comment

Working...
              X