Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Risser

Hi Everyone,
    I have a question for you all. When a child is told she has a risser of 0 (my daughter is almost 12), does that mean she will have a lot of growth yet, or does that mean she could have a lot of growth? I am 5'4" and my 15-year old is 5'5" and done growing. We both did most of our growing at a young age. My daughter with scoli is almost 5'3". I am thinking that it is possible that she only has 2 inches left to grow. My question again is "Does the 0 risser mean it is showing that there are many inches yet to come, or just the possibility of it?" I hope somebody understands my question. She will probably begin menses within the next 6 months based on development and family history. I appreciate all of you so much. I hope you all stay around for at least the next 18 months until I get through all of this. You give such great advice and comfort to those who are facing surgery.
    Melissa
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Melissa,

Usually, a Risser of 0 means they have some growing to do yet. However, every kid is different, especially when dealing with Scoliosis. I've always been told that girls usually grow for up to 2 years after starting their period, but that's not always the case. Jamie was diagnosed at the age of 12 (Risser 0) and had started her period 4 months earlier. Within 1 1/2 years of starting her period, she was done growing and within a year of diagnosis, she was almost a Risser 5. From the time of her diagnosis until her surgery, which was a matter of about 16 months, she only grew about 1 1/2 inches and that included the 1/2 inch she gained from surgery. Jamie is now 14 y.o. and only 4' 10" tall.

I did understand your question, but it is a hard one to answer since every child is so different. Some kids are a Risser 4 or 5 at the time of surgery, but because of the correction they get surgically, they gain as much as 2-3 inches. Hope this helps.

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou,
      I understand that you are saying that your daughter grew a very small amount from diagnosis to surgery. I always thought that would be to our advantage. What was her curve at diagnosis? What was her curve at surgery? I was hoping that if Nicole only has a couple of inches left to grow, then we will be okay. In other words, she is not a typical almost 12-year old as far as her height is concerned. Most of her friends are about 4'10" and clearly have a lot of growing to do. If she is anything like me or my daughter, she only has a couple of inches to grow. So with her brace on, maybe her curve will not have a great chance to get out of control. Maybe there is no more great growth spurt yet to come. Is that thinking off? She may also not take after my older daughter and she may grow to be 5'7". After all, my husband is 6' and my son is 5'11." I know it is all speculation. I was just thinking that if she only has a couple of more inches to go maybe we will be out of the woods.
      Melissa
      Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

Jamie's main Scoliosis curve at diagnosis was 36* and it was 46* at the time of surgery. However, your daughter wears her brace unlike mine so maybe there is a chance of holding her curve where it is. It is so hard to judge how much a child will grow. My husband is only about 5' 6" and I'm all of 5' 1". Yet my other daughter, Tracy is as tall as me right now and still growing. She will be 13 in April and just had her first period, so we can only watch to see how tall she gets.

Jamie and I have discovered that being short isn't such a bad thing, so if your daughter didn't grow too much more and her curve stayed the same forever, that would be great! But like you said, it is all a guessing game.

Mary Lou

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story, Mary Lou. I didn't realize it was only 6 months between diagnosis and surgery. We will have to wait and see what happens. Meanwhile, I think I need to shift my gears from thinking about scoli all the time to thinking about getting my son ready for college. He will be going to Penn State, University Park in the fall and somebody just told me I need to start booking all of my hotel stays now. So I am in the process of looking up my options. My head has been so focused on scoli since Aug. and I have to remember I have 2 other kids who have a lot going on, too. Take care and keep in touch.
          Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

Sorry if I misinformed you--it was 16 months from Jamie's diagnosis until her surgery.

GO PENN STATE!!!!

Mary Lou

Comment

risser

hi my 14yr old son has a 25° curve on the upper part of his back 6 months ago (he goes tomorrow for xrays in his brace to see whats new) when we went 6 months back, they told us he was 0 on the risser. hes currently 6' his doctor informed us that he could grow to be 6'5 inches tall. theres no knowing since he was 0 on the risser when he will start slowing down, or stop growing. i dont think we can go by family history when it comes to height, my husband and are are both on the small side im 5'4 and hes 5'8. and our sons a giant! lol
              i also heard that with girls they usually stop growing a year to two years after their periods begin. does anyone know when boys stop growing? i looked at my sons back, im no doctor but his curve looks worse. worried hes got alot more growing to do. he complains constantly of backaches. any advice?

Comment

Working...
              X