Texas Physical Education State Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Physical Education State Law

My daughter is in the 6th grade at a Middle School in the DFW area of Texas. She had scoliosis surgery on Nov. 15 and was just released from the doctor on Jan. 4 and strict instructions there would be no PE. On Jan. 5 I met with her counselor and dean of students who had the 504 accommodation form for us to sign but instead of her taking a keyboard class or art, she said my daughter would still have to take PE under State Law. She is sitting on hard bleachers with no backs. She is a very athletic little Asian who looks forward to PE each day but now will have to just sit and watch or blow a whistle. Is there really such a law for scoliosis patients who can't return to PE for a year? The school admits that our daughter is the first student to go through a Chiari I and scoliosis operation in just 6 months time. Anyone from Texas have this situation??

i'm not from texas but here in colorado if you have a doctors note you don't have to take a P.E. class ever becasue the school don't want to be sued for other students hurting another with some kind of medical condition. They just replace it with an extra art or computer class. Here there is a law that says everyone has to have a P.E. class but it kinda void here if you have a medical condition...hope this helped
    ~Shannon~
    Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
    13 months Post-op
    E-mail me!:
    starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

i dont have to take P.E. till next december because my doctor wrote me a note, and i got put on service elective this year, and then from august to december ill be taking study hall instead of P.E.
      Last edited by ScoliGal; 02-05-2006, 07:11 PM.
      ~Wanda~
      40TL curve pre op
      Posterior Spinal Fusion with Dr. Pablo Marrero
      San Jorge Children's Hospital in Puerto Rico
      June 7, 2006
      post op curve: 16

Comment

Did you find anything different? We are nn to know

Originally posted by trophykat
        My daughter is in the 6th grade at a Middle School in the DFW area of Texas. She had scoliosis surgery on Nov. 15 and was just released from the doctor on Jan. 4 and strict instructions there would be no PE. On Jan. 5 I met with her counselor and dean of students who had the 504 accommodation form for us to sign but instead of her taking a keyboard class or art, she said my daughter would still have to take PE under State Law. She is sitting on hard bleachers with no backs. She is a very athletic little Asian who looks forward to PE each day but now will have to just sit and watch or blow a whistle. Is there really such a law for scoliosis patients who can't return to PE for a year? The school admits that our daughter is the first student to go through a Chiari I and scoliosis operation in just 6 months time. Anyone from Texas have this situation??
        My daughter is in 7th grade in Jr. High in the Mid cities area of DFW TX. She will be needing Chiari I surgery before the end of the year, and may need scoliosis spinal fusion if the curve continues to progress. Please let me know of anything I may need to be prepared for to inform the school. Thank you.
        Shirley
        Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

im sorry to hear that. at my school you just need some sort of note. i hope things get better though!
          an out-of-the-ordinary, 15-year-old chic.
          diagnosed with scoliosis in 2002.
          a sparatic thinker, a heavy party-goer.

Comment

Originally posted by kmkmaggot420
            im sorry to hear that. at my school you just need some sort of note. i hope things get better though!
            Thanks for the reply. We were told it isn't a problem. Thank you.
            Shirley
            Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

Working...
            X