is it bad....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it bad....

Sorry if I'm posting so much. As stated in earlier posts I am 5 months post op and I've managed to pick up my 2 year old 29lb little girl 4 times or so since my surgery. I know I'm not supposed to, but when she hurts herself or is upset the mommy instinct kicks in and I just do it subconsiously. I'm wondering if that is bad for the fusion that is taking place. I know I'm not supposed to be picking anything up that weighs more than a gallon of milk. Any pointers on what I should do to keep myself from picking her up??? I'm short of tying my hands behind my back sometimes.

~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Could you maybe go down to her level?? ie kneel or sit down with her in your lap that way. If you're near somehwere you can sit ie a couch/park bench/chair etc could you maybe sit in the chair and have her come up to you (ie come into mum's lap)

Alison

Comment

I've been really good at doing that, but when she falls off the couch or something to that effect and I'm standing up or in the next room and I go over to her I just scoop her up, but then after I realize what I've done I'll put her down and sit with her. I just don't want to get scolded too badly by my doctor when I see him on Friday.
      25 yr old female =^_^=
      Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by itsjustme
        I just don't want to get scolded too badly by my doctor when I see him on Friday.
        I think what you REALLY should be concerned about is whether you're doing something that might cause problems that require additional surgery. :-)

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by itsjustme
          Any pointers on what I should do to keep myself from picking her up??? I'm short of tying my hands behind my back sometimes.

~Shelley
          put some very colourful plasters round your fingers (but not too thight) which will remind you instantly, when you are about to use your hands, that you shouldn't pick up anything to heavy (try it, it will work, similar to knot in handkerchief principle)

Comment

Thanks. Linda, I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time I try and pick up my little girl. and also, Gerbo, I think the plasters would work, however I wouldn't be 'in uniform' colorful and camouflage don't really mix well. Thank you again though. ~Shelley
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

to itsjustme

question for you-- You must still have someone home w/ you if you can't lift your child??? Can you cook & do household stuff by 5 mth? I have 2 boys(7 &10) Although they don't require lifting, they still have their needs. In fact, they are very needy. I guess I'd better get them more self sufficient beforfe a possible surgery......

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                question for you-- You must still have someone home w/ you if you can't lift your child??? Can you cook & do household stuff by 5 mth? I have 2 boys(7 &10) Although they don't require lifting, they still have their needs. In fact, they are very needy. I guess I'd better get them more self sufficient beforfe a possible surgery......

My husband helps me out a little. Not as much as he used to though. I can cook and do household chores. Just be careful and don't sweep/mop and don't try and paint your dining room (just learned my lesson on that one last week) :/ Also, use care when loading the dishwasher and putting dishes away. No bending down into your oven and BE CAREFUL on what you pick up from there and how heavy your food is that you are preparing. And don't try and do grocery shopping on your own. Also, no bending down into your washing machine. If you have a grabber... it will come in handy I was able to start doing dishes in the dishwasher at 2 1/2 months post op. Hope this helps you out. ~Shelley
                Last edited by itsjustme; 01-09-2006, 08:15 PM.
                25 yr old female =^_^=
                Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Do you have your husband grocery shop or do you have a service to do it?? That kind of scares me because I thought by 4 months I would be able to pick up a few things?? I guess not??

Comment

How long do restrictions last?

How long is the lifting/bending, twisting restriction on after fusion? Is the lifting one gradually taken off over time or does it vary depending on the person?

Deb

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
                      Do you have your husband grocery shop or do you have a service to do it?? That kind of scares me because I thought by 4 months I would be able to pick up a few things?? I guess not??

My husband goes to the grocery store. If he can't make it a friend of ours does it to help me out. My doctor still has me on restrictions stating that I cannot lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk or 5 lbs. If its a couple of light things I can go to the store myself no problem. We have personnel here that bag the groceries and take them out to the car. I just have to explain to them to not make the bags heavier than 5 lbs. Hope this helps you out

~Shelley
                      25 yr old female =^_^=
                      Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

23 yr old female =^_^=
                        Lumbar curve 23 degrees
                        What was the measure of your Kyphosis curve?

Comment

Working...
                        X