Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bone from other than illiac crest or donor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bone from other than illiac crest or donor?

Hello all. I've noticed that the majority of people on this forum have had the bone used for fusion harvested from their illiac crest or had donor bone . I'm curious if it was odd for my doctor to have shaved down the spinous process (the pokey part that you can feel if you run your fingers down the center of your spine) of my back bone on the levels that were fused and use that instead of the illiac or donor. I'm now five months post op and I'm experiencing a bit of pain at the middle of my back right in the center. It wasn't there before that I noticed, and it is sort of wondering if there are any other people out there that have had that bone missing, and what your experience was with it. It is also starting to bother me a bit that it is no longer there. before you could sort of see it through my skin and feel it, but now you can't. Thank you very much

~Shelley
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

With my first surgery my surgeon used bone from the thorocoplasty for the fusion. When he broke the ribs he shaved off some of the bone and placed that in between the vertebra. The second surgery he used donor bone. It hurt my ribs after the first surgery just because they had been broken, but once the ribs healed it felt much better. I have had some problems with my lungs since then but only minimal pain in the actual bone.
    Mandy

Comment

Hi Shelley...

I had that done as well, but most fusions require more than that. I was also told by one surgeon that removing the spinous processes was actually "old technology."

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My daughter's doctor used bone from her osteotomies for her fusion.

Mary Lou

Comment

In my son's surgery, the doctor chipped bone from the exposed spine - local bone graft (?)

Renee

Comment

Wow. It's good to know that there are other people out there who've had bone taken from other places. I guess since I've 'small bones' from what my doctor has told me he thought that it was best to harvest bone from my spine. Pretty nifty. I would've guessed it was something new due to the fact that I had only heard of donor bone and illiac crest harvesting. Thanks!
            25 yr old female =^_^=
            Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

itsjustme,

Do you know what the degree of your Kyphosis was before surgery and after surgery? Just curious.

Mary Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Mary Lou
                itsjustme,

Do you know what the degree of your Kyphosis was before surgery and after surgery? Just curious.

Mary Lou
                Not too sure on what it was. I'll have to ask my doctor that on Friday.
                25 yr old female =^_^=
                Lumbar curve 23 degrees

Comment

Hi It's just me,

Mine was taken down and used for the fusion as well as allograft(donor bone).

Linda...just curious about your comment. Old technology? Does that mean just the old way of doing it...or do you mean the old technology doesn't work as well?

Kindest Regards,
                  Gail

Comment

Hi Gail...

All I know is that this surgeon (one of Keith Bridwell's fellows) said that they no longer remove the spinous processes.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                    X